Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like getting that dopamine fix lol.

Also, literally just now, spent even more money lol... something important at least. Finally making a tool to torque the lower pivot bolts behind the chainring. Been fiddling with different methods and it's time to upgrade the tool box. Which, I guess, tools are another subject of spending money altogether.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Wouldn't it be smarter to have multiple Glocks and$1000 of ammo instead?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Or as it’s called now, 100 rounds.

Reactions: awilli

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I was in the same scenario like you for a couple years. Over time I realized I was wasting money buying stock bikes from a shop and then change out all the parts to what I wanted. Eventually a lightbulb went off. What if I just bought a frame and built it up? Doing so actually saved me a ton of money and I didn't have a stockpile of OEM parts in my garage. Why spend $3k for a nice MTB when I can take the same cash and build it better for the same (or even lesser) amount of cash starting from a bare frame?
My last bike I bought a mid-low level spec and have since changed out just about everything apart from the frame. I actually like doing it this way because I was able to sell take-off parts to help fund the upgrades. And working on the bike is fun.

Try selling that stockpile of OEM parts. Probably worth hundreds if not thousands.

·
jcd's best friend
3,059 Posts
My last bike I bought a mid-low level spec and have since changed out just about everything apart from the frame. I actually like doing it this way because I was able to sell take-off parts to help fund the upgrades. And working on the bike is fun.

Try selling that stockpile of OEM parts. Probably worth hundreds if not thousands.
I actually sold most of the OEM parts laying around my garage. Whatever I couldn't sell, I donated to a local bicycle shop that does repairs for low income households. They will either charge a minimal fee or do it for free.

·
Never trust a fart
4,482 Posts
See this is your problem. Just stop ridding your friends carbon dentist bike and you’ll never know any different. ;)

I’m doing the same thing you are, although not as crazy. I bought a wheel set that cost half as much as my whole bike did.
I built a wheelset that cost more than my frame.

Ned Ovenend says he's still fast due to high intensity. There is so much science behind HIIT and other high intensity that just shows that's the way to progress.
I got a chance to meet and talk to Ned for about 20 mins at a Specialized Dealer event back in 2013. Really cool, down to earth guy. And he's a monster on a bike. They had short 5 lap circuit race one of the evenings there. Ned was on a Fatboy, a bunch of other fast riders were on 29er's. Ned started last in the race and finished first.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,989 Posts
Like getting that dopamine fix lol.

Also, literally just now, spent even more money lol... something important at least. Finally making a tool to torque the lower pivot bolts behind the chainring. Been fiddling with different methods and it's time to upgrade the tool box. Which, I guess, tools are another subject of spending money altogether.
I admit that I have a tool problem.

Wait, that sounds bad.

·
Never trust a fart
4,482 Posts

Wait, that sounds bad.

I love tools. I have just about everything to service a bike except for a BB press (on the list for my road bike), a truing stand (on the list), and who knows what else I'm going to purchase. I think I like buying tools as much as I like buying bike parts, if not more.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Why is this about guns?
Was a joke. Ammo is so expensive now $1,000 only buys you 100 rounds. Not really that bad, but has gotten very expensive.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
it depends the bike. polygon bike isn't as good as Trek, Norco Range, Forbidden. it is better to buy new bike

·
Registered
114 Posts

Wait, that sounds bad.
I love tools. I have just about everything to service a bike except for a BB press (on the list for my road bike), a truing stand (on the list), and who knows what else I'm going to purchase. I think I like buying tools as much as I like buying bike parts, if not more.
Same. Tools in the garage, tools in the kitchen, tools in the laundry room, in the basement, in the shop... I assume there will be tools in my coffin as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ride a polygon siskui n7. I bought it as my first dual sus, as at the time i didn't have a whole lot to spend (bike cost $3500AUD) for what it was, it was great value machine and I thought i could just upgrade it overtime to make it how i want it as my skills progressed. Fast forward to today about 8 months later, pretty much nothing is stock on the bike and i would have spent an easy $3000 AUD ish on upgrades. Everything is top of the line, Fox x2, spank wheels etc, xt. Just a few days ago i bought a fox 38 as i didnt like my lyrik ultimate. After i bought the fork which cost $2000AUD (I know.... Sold my lyrik for $800 though to cover some costs) i started having some regrets as i could of just sold the bike and bought something "better" its just been a bit of money trap upgrading as $500 here an there doesn't seem like to much compared to a whole new bike but i could have easily have bought a "high end" bike by now with the money i have spent. But then i think i wouldnt of had the bike untill now etc.

I know at the end of the day its what i want to do and what i enjoy but i'm starting to wonder if i'm "pouring" money into a bad foundation. The bike rides awesome but i know a bike "can" ride better. Just from riding friends carbon bikes etc.

When does upgrading become completely worthless? im not expecting to get my money back when i sell the bike i just thought i could swap the parts over to another bike or i could buy a new frame and swap the parts over etc.

I have a $500 frame with $2000 in parts and that bike does anything and almost everything better than those fancy top line bikes which costs like at current [email protected]&@&! inflated pricing 5x of my total outlay

Most importantly, upgrade yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thats what i find quite reqarding. Usually my bikes much faster than all the carbon bikes i see and
it depends the bike. polygon bike isn't as good as Trek, Norco Range, Forbidden. it is better to buy new bike
No its probably not as good but selling it and getting a lower spec trek etc for even more money than my bike doesn't really make sense to me. My bikes parts are usually on $6k+ bikes

·
Registered
12 Posts
I personally see most of it as a waste of money or simply something that becomes its own hobby but if you enjoy doing it then do it!

I ride a 2019 29er Stumpy Alloy with the only upgrades being I9 wheels and upgraded GX drive train. I ride everything on the front range, mostly black and double black. No one passes me ever unless they are on an enduro circuit or a super mountain bike bro and the only times I have crashed it was my fault or I set up the bike badly.

I ride 2-3 long rides a week and the bike feels so good I never think to replace anything (maybe I need to pay more attention) but when something breaks like the rear derailleur or shifter etc then I upgrade it.

I am still super jealous of the longer travel carbon frames and fox forks though, would be nice to have but I’m poor. 😭

Although I’m not sure how much I would benefit other than when I do lift serviced down hill and the problem is I need a DH bike.

Anyone have recommendations for a good lower tier down hill bike or somewhere to look? Pros Closet?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey it's that guy you should disregard.

I haven't ridden a Polygon but I race with a guy who has one and he rips. It doesn't seem to be any worse than my Trek and it doesn't have a stupid "Penske" shock so it's probably better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey it's that guy you should disregard.

I haven't ridden a Polygon but I race with a guy who has one and he rips. It doesn't seem to be any worse than my Trek and it doesn't have a stupid "Penske" shock so it's probably better.
Thanks, i really love the bike and it easily keeps up with all the other "big brand" $6k carbon bikes. So i cant really complain

41 - 58 of 58 Posts