Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
I need glasses.
48 Posts
I think many riders believe that equipment will make them better, when their efforts would be far better spent on dialing in the setup they have and practicing skills and/or paying for some coaching.
This is very true. I've spent money on coaching which was very much worth it.

We also got a Peloton bike and I am way, way stronger than I was because I use Power Zone training. The Peloton is always there. I can and do 20 minute hiit rides all the time. It's an alternative to Netflix, not riding. My wife is leveling up too and will soon be able to ride easier trails with me.

What I need to do more of is practice. I need to practice bunny hops, wheelies and manuals, skinnies and whatever. Riding isn't practicing. I need to session more. After riding a wicked rock garden or a year and making it around 1/2 the time I sessioned it for half and hour and now I'm through gracefully about 90% of the time.

Also, yeah, dial in what you have and be sure it works perfectly all the time.

One thing I will say that did make a real difference for me was shorter cranks. Way less pedal strikes. Studies show that you make the same power. On 165s now and wouldn't go back. That's not really an "upgrade" in the common sense though.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
This is very true. I've spent money on coaching which was very much worth it.

We also got a Peloton bike and I am way, way stronger than I was because I use Power Zone training. The Peloton is always there. I can and do 20 minute hiit rides all the time. It's an alternative to Netflix, not riding. My wife is leveling up too and will soon be able to ride easier trails with me.

What I need to do more of is practice. I need to practice bunny hops, wheelies and manuals, skinnies and whatever. Riding isn't practicing. I need to session more. After riding a wicked rock garden or a year and making it around 1/2 the time I sessioned it for half and hour and now I'm through gracefully about 90% of the time.

Also, yeah, dial in what you have and be sure it works perfectly all the time.

One thing I will say that did make a real difference for me was shorter cranks. Way less pedal strikes. Studies show that you make the same power. On 165s now and wouldn't go back. That's not really an "upgrade" in the common sense though.
It hastaken me years to learn that a quick 30 minute ride is far better than no ride when you don’t have time for something longer. That and as I age, doing other exercises to Maintain balance and core strength are increasingly important.

·
I need glasses.
48 Posts
It hastaken me years to learn that a quick 30 minute ride is far better than no ride when you don’t have time for something longer. That and as I age, doing other exercises to Maintain balance and core strength are increasingly important.
Ned Ovenend says he's still fast due to high intensity. There is so much science behind HIIT and other high intensity that just shows that's the way to progress.
The 9 minute workout will give results. Is more better? Probably, but this costs nothing and is easy to do.
I've also started stretching. 10 min per day, every day. I'm 54 and have never been faster after 2 years of this.

I am going to plug Peloton again because the app has endless workouts of all kinds. Simple and quick, easy to do.

The other thing is I totally changed my diet and lost around 40 (40!) lbs. My bike now weighs -13lbs.

None of this is as easy as hitting the buy button.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my first full suspension earlier this year and was split between the high or low spec model. Ultimately, I decided to do the "upgrade later" option and bought the low spec. My logic was that I'm no pro so I don't need pro suspension or carbon wheels... Fast forward to now and the only thing on my cockpit that came with the bike is the shifter lol. New bar, dropper lever and grips. Swapped to larger rotors and replaced the brake levers and calipers - twice lol.

When the time comes for a $1,000 fork, I trust my skills will be ready by then. For now I enjoy the simplicity of the newb damper settings and experimenting on the fly without too much thinking. I haven't crested the feeling for something more substantial just yet. Maybe another season or two, hopefully longer so I don't spend the money so soon lol.

·
jcd's best friend
3,059 Posts
I was in the same scenario like you for a couple years. Over time I realized I was wasting money buying stock bikes from a shop and then change out all the parts to what I wanted. Eventually a lightbulb went off. What if I just bought a frame and built it up? Doing so actually saved me a ton of money and I didn't have a stockpile of OEM parts in my garage. Why spend $3k for a nice MTB when I can take the same cash and build it better for the same (or even lesser) amount of cash starting from a bare frame?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was in the same scenario like you for a couple years. Over time I realized I was wasting money buying stock bikes from a shop and then change out all the parts to what I wanted. Eventually a lightbulb went off. What if I just bought a frame and built it up? Doing so actually saved me a ton of money and I didn't have a stockpile of OEM parts in my garage. Why spend $3k for a nice MTB when I can take the same cash and build it better for the same (or even lesser) amount of cash starting from a bare frame?
Is that how it actually goes? I was under the impression manufacturer buying power made for cheaper bikes and building them costs more because you're not buying 50 cranksets/forks/etc. at a time. The benefit to building, obviously, you get exactly what you want. I can say, I'll likely never buy a bike off the showroom floor again.

·
Registered
14,364 Posts
It's a process.
You buy a low spec bike.
You change things and learn what you want.
Next time a high priced bike doesn't have the parts you want at any price.
You get the frame and put your favorite parts on it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Heck, I bought a Mongoose XR Pro 29er from Walmart a few years with the intention of upgrading some of it over time. I'm still riding it, and I love that thing. One of the first things I did was put a RockShox Monarch rear shock on it. Last week I put some Shimano hydraulic brakes on the front and rear. First time I've tried hydraulics. I know a lot of people would tell me it is a waste, but I kind of like making something out of nothing. I smile every time I get it out and put it on the bike rack.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you need to justify how you spend your money to randos on the internet, you're probably wasting it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The one thing I will say about this...when I was into BMX in my younger days, it was actually cheaper a lot of times to buy the complete bike of the frame & fork you wanted and then buy whatever extra parts you wanted on it, as long as you weren't replacing everything. For example, they made "Team" bikes, which most of the time just meant they came with 3 piece cranks. You could buy the non-team model, buy the same 3 piece cranks that came on the Team model, and you'd end up cheaper. And you'd end up with some 1 piece cranks that you take off and use on a 2nd or 3rd bike.

Mountain bikes may be a different story. Because of all the intricate parts of a mountain bike, I've never tried to build anything from the frame up. Plus, I'm not as picky with mountain bikes as I am BMX. If it's got suspension and changes gears, I don't care much about anything else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Some awesome replies guys cheers, I dont feel so sick now when i think about the money i have spent lol wasn't really to much just wheels, brake levers, new shock, bars and just now a fox 38 as i was always quite unhappy with how my lyrik ultimate performed, i don't buy parts just because i "Think" it will make me a better rider, usually know what im after and how i will get there by improving how the bike will ride, my lyrik was always either to harsh or soft blowing through the mid stroke all to quickly and could never get the thing dialed how i wanted. I think i was just trying to weigh up to myself if i should have just sold my bike and put the money i spent on the fox 38 towards a new bike but i feel like im just to invested at this stage lol.

But id loose a lot on my bike already and i think in the future i will just end up buying a frame and swapping the parts over. I will probably have spent $1-2K more than i would have if i had just bought a complete bike in the first place but i guess its all an experience and cheaper at the time upgrading slowly.

the part is when i look at buying higher spec bikes usually they dont have what i want now or if they do they are upwards of $7500AUD and i feel like what's the point when my bike has as good if not better parts. Yeah its not carbon or maybe the best designed geo but if its fun to ride i guess that's the main thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some awesome replies guys cheers, I dont feel so sick now when i think about the money i have spent lol wasn't really to much just wheels, brake levers, new shock, bars and just now a fox 38 as i was always quite unhappy with how my lyrik ultimate performed, i don't buy parts just because i "Think" it will make me a better rider, usually know what im after and how i will get there by improving how the bike will ride, my lyrik was always either to harsh or soft blowing through the mid stroke all to quickly and could never get the thing dialed how i wanted. I think i was just trying to weigh up to myself if i should have just sold my bike and put the money i spent on the fox 38 towards a new bike but i feel like im just to invested at this stage lol.

But id loose a lot on my bike already and i think in the future i will just end up buying a frame and swapping the parts over. I will probably have spent $1-2K more than i would have if i had just bought a complete bike in the first place but i guess its all an experience and cheaper at the time upgrading slowly.

the part is when i look at buying higher spec bikes usually they dont have what i want now or if they do they are upwards of $7500AUD and i feel like what's the point when my bike has as good if not better parts. Yeah its not carbon or maybe the best designed geo but if its fun to ride i guess that's the main thing.
How much was the Fox 38 that you bought? Just curious how that compares to what we pay in US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just spent more money for no reason. New top cap and shifter. Why can't I stop??
It’s a positive feedback loop. You ride more after you buy more parts and then you have more fun which makes you buy more and ride more....Well that’s my theory anyways.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts