Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to figure if I want to try tubeless...?

I get responces from both ends.

"Tubless is the "way to Go"!"

"Meh, I'm old school I like tubes!"

"Tubeless lets you run lower PSI for better/softer traction without getting pinch flats!"

"I don't need a tire filled with latex, I have "thorn tape" between my tire and tube too keep the GoatHeads out!"

SO...yeah. I ride as much as I can but it's still not huge amount of riding...
I have about 550miles on my bike now and I have gotten aprox 5 flats, two pinch/snake bites (new rear tire is THIN) and the others have been thorn punctures.
I carry spare tube and patches so no worries.

WHEN you do have a flat with "tubeless" setup how does it get fixed out on the trail?

Does a recreational rider even "need" tubeless?

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
This has been covered about 1000 times. Maybe use the search button?

Pros:
lighter
better grip
no pinch flats

Cons:
$

If you get a flat with tubeless, you just throw a tube in there, or patch it just like you would with a tube.

I have never got a flat while tubeless though.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that = search..blah ....
repost it is but not a repost by me so :p

I would assume if you go flat while tubelss it's cuz you blew a bead or ripped a tire or got a punchture the soup inside could not fill? SO now what? Whipe out as much soup as you can and shove a tube in there?
If you had a tube to begain with..no mess to deal with right?
Does your tire have a million things stuck to it now that it opened up on you and the latex is everywere...?

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
To answer your question. Yes..it is.

Flats with a proper tubeless setup are rare and are usually from a big tear in the tire. In this case, you just put in a tube to limp home and fix/replace the tire. Why is that different than running tubes? Because it is much less likely to happen. The lists above are spot on. Its 2014, tubeless is a mainstay at this point, its not really a pro/con thing anymore. With that being said, running tubes is fine too..it has worked for years. I think once you try it and realize you can run less psi, you will wonder why you waited.

In ~1.5K miles of offroad riding tubeless, I have flatted exactly once from a torn tire. Obviously this will be dependent on your local trail conditions.

This has been beaten to death here and you could spend hours reading through posts on the subject. Lots of the folks that don't like it had a bad experience trying to convert non-TLR tires/rims or simply don't have the mechanical fortitude to deal with the small hassle of it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you already have a tubeless ready rim and tire...super easy to just try it. That was the case for me and I love being able to run lower pressure without worry of pinch flats. If you don't already have tubeless equipment it can be hit and miss. If I get a flat on the trail I just remove the tubeless valve, pop a tube in, and keep going.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ride in AZ and the terrain is pretty unforgiving. Bought a new bike earlier this year and had a flat in the front the first time out (replaced with tubeless) and then a flat in the rear the second time out (replaced with tubeless).
Over 20-30 rides since, on the same trails, no flats.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
I have been using tubed tires since the beginning of (my) time and so far I only have second hand experience with tubeless so take this for what it's worth.

You can use a little lower pressure with tubeless, but not much. I run my tubed tires @ 25 psi and rarely ever pinch flat. When I drop to the low 20's I can start to feel the rim contact the earth now and then.

From my research weight doesn't seem to be much of a factor. The weight savings you get by losing the tube are mostly countered by sealant and slightly heavier tubeless ready tires.

Some people claim to get better grip by not having a tube, seems a little vague to me but I'll soon find out.

The biggest reason for tubeless in my view is flat resistance. If you're regularly getting flats with your tubed tires then tubeless makes a lot of sense because it works better and weighs less than tubes with slime in them. I don't use sealant and don't get many flats so I really have no problem with tubes and actually kind of like them because they are clean and simple to repair when needed. That said I'm building a new set of wheels soon and setting them up tubeless to see what it's all about.

I know that = search..blah ....
repost it is but not a repost by me so :p

I would assume if you go flat while tubelss it's cuz you blew a bead or ripped a tire or got a punchture the soup inside could not fill? SO now what? Whipe out as much soup as you can and shove a tube in there?
If you had a tube to begain with..no mess to deal with right?
Does your tire have a million things stuck to it now that it opened up on you and the latex is everywere...?

I think there are a lot of occasions where a large cut is too much for the sealant but with a tire boot and a tube it's good to go. Also a tubeless tire could burp or otherwise lose air and become unseated and some tubeless setups will not seat without a compressor, necessitating a tube.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would recomend tubeless to everyone that can run tubeless. I think I have only done 2 rides with tubes, and that was the same day I baught the bike. I went tubeless and three years later have still not had a flat. My riding buddy runs tubes and just on the rides I have been with him in the last year we have had to repair three flats on his bike. He finally came to me the other day and asked what he needs to go tubeless.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
COOL!
Thanks ALL

Well my wheels are not tubless ready but from what I have read Gorilla Tape can fix that. I searched to see if anyone had converted my wheels = "HR Disc 29, alloy double-wall, disc, pin jount, 25mm, 36h (whatever the hell all that means)
I allready have tubeless ready tires, I have the valves too. SO all I need to buy is some Stans...
Hmmm I do like "clean and easy" using tubes...but if flats virtually "go away" unless you tear or BURP.

THanks for all you all time!!
Burt

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
COOL!
Thanks ALL

Well my wheels are not tubless ready but from what I have read Gorilla Tape can fix that. I searched to see if anyone had converted my wheels = "HR Disc 29, alloy double-wall, disc, pin jount, 25mm, 36h (whatever the hell all that means)
I allready have tubeless ready tires, I have the valves too. SO all I need to buy is some Stans...
Hmmm I do like "clean and easy" using tubes...but if flats virtually "go away" unless you tear or BURP.

THanks for all you all time!!
Burt
This is precisely my point..if your rims aren't TLR, you can certainly convert them (I have on several different non-TLR rims using both the Gorrila tape and Stan's conversion kit)...BUT...there are no guarantees that will work well. My advice from someone that has done a lot of tubeless set ups: make sure you build up the rim with the tape so that the tire is snug..not loose..not so tight you can't get it on. This will help prevent burping and allow easier inflation.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So by "build up" do you mean multipul layers of tape? or get the tape as wide as you can?
I bought a roll of 1" wide Gorrila Tape just the other day..should be pleanty wide to cover the spoke ends, yes?

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Sorry; multiple layers of tape to increase the effective inner diameter of the rim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
My riding buddy runs tubes and just on the rides I have been with him in the last year we have had to repair three flats on his bike. He finally came to me the other day and asked what he needs to go tubeless.
That's exactly how my riding buddies all ended up going tubeless. Flats suck, especially in a group.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, thanks. I was just at local LBS and picked up two 2oz bottles of Stans to give it a try. Figure if I get it to work fine...if not...fine. I'll do like JBW and just wait until I get some proper wheels to run no-tubes.
Might be raining anyway so might be a good time to "mess" around and make a "mess" LOL

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
it depends on your riding conditions eg if you get goat heads, etc. If you don't suffer punctures at the pressures you run, then tubeless is not worth the tradeoffs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How well will tubeless work with like a freestyle/downhill type riding. I have a hard tail and do trails but I also like to play and do drops and what not, would tubeless be able to withstand jumping and dropping?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts