Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everywhere i look titus is on sale.
high volume dealers are dropping the line..
no 2009s in stores...
and now.... Titus on chainlove! this move smells like desperation or at the very least a sh$tload of unsold frames.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the release of complete bikes like the RX1 and ML1, it was clear that they wanted to move a higher volume of bikes at a price that hits a larger market. The sure fire way to make bigger dollars in this industry is sales in volume. With this does come the gamble that the reputation of the brand will take a hit, and some long time interests will be dissatisfied. Titus reputation is built heavily on being a builder of customer frames, and time will tell if the gamble they took pays off. Perhaps they will take a hit now and re-evaluate their brand strategy, or maybe they will be the next Specialized (seemingly far-fetched, but who knows...).

It is funny you mention chainlove, because I know of several recent cases where people test rode a Titus and didn't buy because most dealers cannot afford to sell the bike at the price that chainlove is offering it at. Dealers cannot even counter with the services they provide because it is simply not even worth the time.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
How do you know

That chainlove dropped Titus, and Titus did not drop chainlove.
It seems like as of late Titus is putting more of an emphasis on thier dealer network, and not dealing with cusomers directly. Maybe they are trying to thier dealers happy by not allowing bikes to be sold at massive discounts online.

BTW I have no idea what Titus's business plans are, or anything about chainlove. I have never even been to thier site. I just think its equally as likely that Titus did not want chainlove, or that they were not able to come to terms about how bikes are the be sold to renew a contract.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Chainlove's bikes were pretty much the RX1.......no such beast in 09......Hmmm, clear out on a phased out 08 offering is my take.

Dealers dropping them, Speedgoat did on the thread I mentioned, and it was brought up by someone else the theory behind that one. Looking at thier dealer network, it looks like they lost some, but gained some as well. Call it even.

Titus bikes on sale, hmmmm, it is on 08 Stock only. No one claimed Turner was was in financial trouble when he liquidated about a quarter of his whole years 08 inventory. Cripes they thought he was doing a good deed and could walk on water and part the Red Sea and should be recieving the Noble peace prize.

Looks like Bob is delivering a lot of Ti bikes on this board as of late. Maybe its because their Ti line is inhouse and they can deliver on specific dates in mind. X and FTM are SAPA built and Titus will deliver those when they get them (and Jeff said December is shipping date). They have plenty of Motolites and Racer-X's if you want em.......Heck can even have your choice of paint.

I don't know Titus's balance sheet either, but they are targeting 3 different markets and starting to refine things. As on other threads the worlds economy is in the shitter and lets be realistic, there will be a lot of bike companies small and medium that won't survive. Titus has a good chance as they are covering more then one market with their offerings for 09. Can't say the same for a few other companies out there.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
TiEndo said:
Titus bikes on sale, hmmmm, it is on 08 Stock only. No one claimed Turner was was in financial trouble when he liquidated about a quarter of his whole years 08 inventory. Cripes they thought he was doing a good deed and could walk on water and part the Red Sea and should be recieving the Noble peace prize.

As on other threads the worlds economy is in the shitter and lets be realistic, there will be a lot of bike companies small and medium that won't survive.
My thoughts exactly...

·
A Superhero Named Tony
164 Posts
Stores always put clearance pricing on their previous year's frames in the winter to make room for the new models. That's the time to pick up a great deal. Speedgoat, competitive cyclist, etc... have done this regularly in past years. The current economy probably just creates a little more urgency to thin out the inventory.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
They are CHEAP at Speedgoat. Heck, I picked up a Racer X 29er for $999 free shipping. The Racer X and Motolites are on sale for $1,350 and there are some more deals but not many frames left.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I don't know if Titus is in trouble.....

scoutcat said:
everywhere i look titus is on sale.
high volume dealers are dropping the line..
no 2009s in stores...
and now.... Titus on chainlove! this move smells like desperation or at the very least a sh$tload of unsold frames.
but, I think they need to consider bringing in other suspension designs. From a marketing standpoint it would be a very smart thing to do. As much as I like Titus' approach to FSR, I think adding a multi-link bike to the line up would be a very smart thing to do. Like SC, why not have competing suspension designs in the line up? This has proved to be a very successful business model for SC. Again, look at all the hype Turner got for going to DW. Are the new DW Turners better than the old TNT?? Probably not much, but the appearance of moving with new technology has created a lot of interest in the brand.

My assessment of the 2009 line-up.... Titus has give us nothing new other than refinements on FSR.

Come on Titus.... let's see your version of DW.

Regards,

EndUser

·
screamer
1,371 Posts
This thread pi$$es me off.

Titus invests its R&D money -- and breadth of line -- into a range of materials, not different suspension designs. Not saying one is better than the other, but to say that Titus is coming up with nothing new just isn't the case.

That a retailer is putting up bikes at low prices says nothing of the health of the manufacturer. How do you know how much Chainlove paid for the frames? Maybe they're just turning them around at cost (which, since they are clearly buying in bulk, is going to be lower than the average small LBS which makes up the bulk of Titus' retail end).

No one said Chainlove dropped Titus. Get your facts straight.

It's this sort of rumor-mongering and hand-wringing that has us all in deep economic trouble in the first place. A whiff of trouble in the press, true or not, can really hurt a company's PR & market share. If you know something specific, fine. Otherwise, keep your trap shut and let the people trying to keep their businesses open in this brutal economy do what they need to do to stay on top of things.

Or even better, take advantage of these great prices, get a shiny new toy for yourself, and support the businesses in the process.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
The road Titus has been on for the last few years has been rocky. Many know this, and some know beyond what the surface shows. Hopefully they'll be back on track for the coming years and resume some degree of innovation.

For me, I just find that they seem to be a bit "lost" for lack of a better word within the crowded classes. I found some geo numbers to be a bit weird as of the last few years and such things as tire clearance and rear ends seem to bring up questions. I was not hot about the Racer X carbon's appearance. Oof.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
budgie said:
This thread pi$$es me off.

Titus invests its R&D money -- and breadth of line -- into a range of materials, not different suspension designs. Not saying one is better than the other, but to say that Titus is coming up with nothing new just isn't the case.

That a retailer is putting up bikes at low prices says nothing of the health of the manufacturer. How do you know how much Chainlove paid for the frames? Maybe they're just turning them around at cost (which, since they are clearly buying in bulk, is going to be lower than the average small LBS which makes up the bulk of Titus' retail end).

No one said Chainlove dropped Titus. Get your facts straight.

It's this sort of rumor-mongering and hand-wringing that has us all in deep economic trouble in the first place. A whiff of trouble in the press, true or not, can really hurt a company's PR & market share. If you know something specific, fine. Otherwise, keep your trap shut and let the people trying to keep their businesses open in this brutal economy do what they need to do to stay on top of things.

Or even better, take advantage of these great prices, get a shiny new toy for yourself, and support the businesses in the process.
Very well said. I could not agree more.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
So, true.... good points

As a performance based consumer, I think my ML rides as bit as good as anything I've had a chance to throw my leg over. Titus makes some of the best performing bikes on the planet.

And I agree with you....Titus has been extremely innovative with materials etc and their rendition of the FSR design is IMO, industry best.

I don't know anything about Titus business dealings or balance sheets. I'm a geologist who loves to mountain bike. So, as a consumer and a fan, I'd like to see Titus experiment with new suspension technologies. The brand speaks for itself and I think they would benefit immensly from media it would generate if they introduced a multi-linkage FS design. Combine a multi-linkage bike with Titus' fabrication and materials expertise and the watch the excitement. I would be very interested in a multi-link Titus bike.

You have to ask yourself, "Where's the market appeal?" All I know is suspension design get's a lot of buzz around here.

Please don't get angry..... it's just a wish.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,356 Posts
EndUser said:
Bad idea. Lets throw more pivots and linkages at a bike so there's more to creak, squeak, break, and look like a poorly organized yard sale :yawn:

Besides, If they jumped on every suspension blip on the radar, prices would go up due to tooling, testing, prototyping etc. They pay for FSR, they should use the living heck out of it. Now, bringing back a single pivot like the good old days......:idea:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good point

FSR ain't broke, so don't go fixing it. some prefer its efficiency and simplicity. So what if its not new and groovy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
EndUser said:
but, I think they need to consider bringing in other suspension designs. From a marketing standpoint it would be a very smart thing to do. As much as I like Titus' approach to FSR, I think adding a multi-link bike to the line up would be a very smart thing to do. Like SC, why not have competing suspension designs in the line up? This has proved to be a very successful business model for SC. Again, look at all the hype Turner got for going to DW. Are the new DW Turners better than the old TNT?? Probably not much, but the appearance of moving with new technology has created a lot of interest in the brand.

My assessment of the 2009 line-up.... Titus has give us nothing new other than refinements on FSR.

Regards,

EndUser
Now you're moving from mountain biking to golf. There are new clubs out every year with "new technology" to get the suckers to buy new clubs every year in the attempt "to get more distance, hit it straighter, etc. ". I think that is why some of the places may be dropping (not carrying) Titus. If you own a Titus racer x, why would you buy a new one if there are no changes?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

Multi-link bikes are now on their 11th year of evolution (Outland 1997??) and I don’t see them going away. So, I think it’s difficult to call this a “new” technology at this point. The old arguments against multi-link (short-link) suspension technology don’t hold water anymore. In the recent past, the execution of this techology has been lacking, but the precision and construction techniques needed to build quality multi-link bikes have arrived. IMO, Pivot and Turner now set the benchmark for quality construction of multi-link bikes.

Anyway, this technology has been a marketing boon for SC, Ibis, Intense, Pivot and Turner. So, why not Titus?

Just asking.....

Regards,

EndUser

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
EndUser said:
MendonCycleSmith said:
Bad idea. Lets throw more pivots and linkages at a bike so there's more to creak, squeak, break, and look like a poorly organized yard sale :yawn:
i dunno... the DW link is a pretty nifty gadget:thumbsup:
... but as close as DW (the person) is with Pivot (i.e. Cocalis), i think Titus would be sleeping with the enemy so to speak if they went to a DW link... the Mach 5's suspension performance is pretty amazing (except when climbing over rough stuff outta the saddle)... i think Titus cannot sit back on its laurels and expect to stay in the game, though... so to me a lot is riding on the FTM and whether it's an improvement over the ML;)

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
Change for the sake of change is king of dumb considering that Titus bikes all ride pretty good. There is nothing wrong with the old Amp mac strutt design which is what the X, FTM, Racer X, ML, and the EG come from, the only FSR design it has in it, its the sticker to pay the royalty for the Horst link patten that big evil S bought. So just changing the suspension design because others are doing it is not logical to me. If it did not work so good then yes change it, but the thing just works.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Fsr

sure hasn't hurt specialized and it really helped put Intense, Ellsworth, Titus and others on the map...

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I think I'm being misunderstood...

I think a wholesale change is quite risky and this is not what I suggested in the least. Turner's got some big, big balls to completely abandon TNT given how well recieved that design is, but it can't be denied how much interest and hype it's created for the brand. I don't know if this will translate into increased sales for Turner..... that remains to be seen.

I did however suggest bringing another design into the Titus fold. Again, a company who's roots are steeped in materials and fabrication, like Titus, could introduce a competing design that would likely have that incredible Titus build and ride quality. This is not suggesting one design is better than the other.... but it opens up another market. There are a lot of people interested multi-linkage bikes right now and Titus is not an option for those looking.

It's OK to be committed to one design, but in doing so the market audience is narrower.

Titus makes a great FSR bike and I have no reason to think they couldn't make a great multi-linkage bike as well. Sometimes change is required to survive.

I suspect this is a topic of discussion at the highest levels of Titus management.

Regards,

EndUser

1 - 20 of 44 Posts