Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
i ride a '03 basic hardrock w/o discs. as much as i love the bike, after a year or so riding it i am basically out growing it skill wise. IMO you'd be better off spending the money on a better bike w/o the discs such as a rockhopper that will last you longer.

·
Banned
72 Posts
As far as 05 bikes go, the Rockhopper isn't better than the Hardrock Pro, unless you just like the frame shape better (it's also cheaper by $160).

The HR Pro disc has a full Deore drive train, while the Rockhopper has a Deore rear derailleur and Alivio everywhere else. Plus, the HR Pro has pretty sweet disc brakes, the Avid Mechs, which run around a hundred bucks a wheel alone.

Yes, the Rockhopper is better than the basic Hardrock (also known as the Sport), but it doesn't beat the HR Pro.

·
Long Distance MTB
284 Posts
are you sure?

SpeedDreamin said:
As far as 05 bikes go, the Rockhopper isn't better than the Hardrock Pro, unless you just like the frame shape better (it's also cheaper by $160).
Specialized page notes that Rockhopper is double butted, but Hardrock not. Perhaps Rockhopper frame is a little bit lighter.

·
Banned
72 Posts
The Rockhopper is probably a bit lighter, but I've picked them both up several times and the weight difference isn't that much. IMO, the weight difference isn't enough to justify the difference in components.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a spec Hardrock '03 around 18 months ago.

Gradually I have upgraded. I now run a Spec M5 HT '04 (check my profile for the spec).

On entry level kit, I feel it is best to keep it simple.
Entry level discs are not going to be worth the extra Vs V-brakes.

The forks on the Hardrock I found pretty bad.

For an entry level bike, I would suggest getting a basic frame and kitting it out with close-out oe e-bay deore components and ridgid forks. A road cassette and rear mech may well save you $$$ and weight. Foam grips are cheap and save you weight.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What kinda riding do you want to do? If you want to have a superlight XC bike, then as Tippster says it may not fit the bill. I can say the frame is tough enough as there are people around here using the frames as their urban/dj bike. The avid mechs are sweet disk brakes in my opinion. I think if you are just getting into riding, the hardrock could be great...as you progress and or break stuff (again depending on what type of riding you're doing) the frame will still be worthy of upgrading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i bought it. I got it for 627. with tax. Its a 04 and i love it. Rode 10 miles yesterday and 8 today. Some single track, downhill, rail trail, road riding. apsolutly love it.

·
DaBomb Molotov rider
347 Posts
Hardrock Pro Disk

Rjabs said:
well i bought it. I got it for 627. with tax. Its a 04 and i love it. Rode 10 miles yesterday and 8 today. Some single track, downhill, rail trail, road riding. apsolutly love it.
I'm also contemplating buying the Hardrock Pro Disk, 2004 or 2005. Seems like a very versatile bike - for urban/DJ/trails - which is exactly what I'm after. I wonder about the front fork though - and how much the stock MZ Comp 100mm fork can handle. How are you finding it?
I'm also surprised this bike doesn't come with a bash guard, given the kind of riding it is designed for.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've loved the last two years of service that I've had from my Hardrock Comp, but two things I've always missed are disks and decent hardware. The new Hardrock Pro has both, and I am counting the minutes until my paycheck clears so that I can have one.

·
DaBomb Molotov rider
347 Posts
bike_and_such said:
i ride a '03 basic hardrock w/o discs. as much as i love the bike, after a year or so riding it i am basically out growing it skill wise. IMO you'd be better off spending the money on a better bike w/o the discs such as a rockhopper that will last you longer.
In what sense did you outgrow the Hardrock? Did you find it inadequate for the kind of riding you were doing? Just wondering because I'm also thinking about getting the 2005 Hardrock Pro Disc, and want to be sure that it can handle the kind of riding I like to do (some urban, 4ft drops, occasional jumps, trials, and trail riding).

·
Registered
28 Posts
londonlad said:
In what sense did you outgrow the Hardrock? Did you find it inadequate for the kind of riding you were doing? Just wondering because I'm also thinking about getting the 2005 Hardrock Pro Disc, and want to be sure that it can handle the kind of riding I like to do (some urban, 4ft drops, occasional jumps, trials, and trail riding).
i think a hardrock would suit you well. i am an xc rider, no feeriding type stuff, and got the bike in the beginning as a good all around bike and for the price. now that i am more focused on long xc rides i would be better suited for a bike that can climb and handle better, like a stumpjumper.

·
DaBomb Molotov rider
347 Posts
Great bike...but can the fork handle what the rest of the bike can?

I appreciate the postings on this thread. The Hardrock certainly seems to have a very durable frame! It's a great bike, but can the fork handle what the rest of the bike can? The stock fork is only a MZ Comp 100mm - how much can that handle in terms of doing drops, urban riding, etc? What do you think the limits of this fork are? Of course it depends on the skill and weight (I'm 170lb) of the rider, but Marzocchi lists this as an XC fork not designed for any drops. Does that mean doing any kind of drops up to 4 or 5 feet with the stock fork on the Hardrock Pro Disc is a bad idea?

·
Registered
20 Posts
londonlad said:
I appreciate the postings on this thread. The Hardrock certainly seems to have a very durable frame! It's a great bike, but can the fork handle what the rest of the bike can? The stock fork is only a MZ Comp 100mm - how much can that handle in terms of doing drops, urban riding, etc? What do you think the limits of this fork are? Of course it depends on the skill and weight (I'm 170lb) of the rider, but Marzocchi lists this as an XC fork not designed for any drops. Does that mean doing any kind of drops up to 4 or 5 feet with the stock fork on the Hardrock Pro Disc is a bad idea?
Oi LondonLad!

I tested a hardrock at John Henry's today. The fork SUCKS. I'm a lightweight too...the fork felt like crap IMO. If you upgrade the fork, they said they'd give me $75 CAD credit towards another fork...I guess it goes to show you how much it's worth...and with bikes, you get what you pay for.

You could always ride it into the ground and get another fork. Overall, it'll save you cash if you get all the components you want on a stock bike vs getting seperate parts. I'm in that exact dillemma. I want drop-offs so I'll probably wait a few more months and test out the 05 Sasquatch or Rockhopper Pro Disk which both come with the OEM drop-offs which are pretty sweet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.