Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently acqired this 03 or 04 GF Suagar 293. It has these little cracks where the carbon turns into the metal that clamps to the main pivot. Are these anything to worry about, or are they trivial? I have no clue, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'd say that doesn't look good. I've never seen cracks like that on an AL frame I've owned. It could be just the paint layer but even cracks in the paint means the AL is probably flexing more than it should. Cracks in AL only get worse over time, you most likely have a defective frame. I would be contacting GF/Trek about getting a replacement frame.

Please keep us updated on your decision, and if you decide to have the frame replaced, report your experience with GF/Trek customer service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theyre small, circumferential cracks in (at least) the paint. They are present at the same spot on both left and right side of bike. I believe the seat stays go from carbon to aluminum at this point with the cracks, although Im not %100. I couldnt get great pics because lighting and cell phone cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, if youre right and this is considered a defect, would Trek really repair/replace anything considering its ten years old? Just wondering how that would work.

Thanks again

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know if your the original owner, from above it doesn't seem like you are, because if you are then trek has a lifetime warranty on their stuff. If they were to be out of the extra Sugar frames they would just send you something newer. BUT if not then I would search the ebays and local shops for a replacement swingers.
Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It was given to me by the original owner (my gf's bro-in-law), though I could proababy get him to talk to Trek about it for me if thats the onyl way theyd honor the warranty. Id rather not bug him about it though since he already gave me a free kickass bike. Would the receipt/proof of purchase/original documentation be necessary? Also, my roomates good friend is a Trek mechanic, so I could also see if he could help me out.

But Im still unsure whether these little cracks are anything to worry about or to be considered defects (or more like if Trek would consider them defects). Id love to get a new frame, but Im just fine with this one too if it turns out theyre not something to worry about/considered defects.

I should mention, both me and the original owner are 5'8". I weigh 138, he probably weighs in at 155 tops. I know he mostly rode this cross country, nothing crazy, and Ive ridden this mostly on road/asphalt (hence the Geax Evolutions) and have only taken it on trails twice, before swapping to current tires.

P.S. If I were to take this up with Trek as mentioned above, should I be worried about my name and the other above info being public on this forum? Like are there official Trek people on here who might contest my claim in light of the situation mentioned above? Or is that just needless paranoia? I ask because Im pretty sure Ive seen Trek employees/reps respond to user posts regarding warranty claims, but maybe im wrong.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your input

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The crack is in the paint, the paint is cracking cause that joint is moving. Its not safe and your assed out as far as warranty. The you brother in law thanks for the broken bike.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
IME - Trek will ONLY start a warranty claim if filed by the original owner at a local dealer. Since he gave you the bike, he is technically still the original owner, and could file for a claim. Having been through this twice, I can tell you it will likely not be easy, and is only as good as the support given by the LBS.
(If he still has ties to the shop where he bought the bike, then ignore below.)
-----
-Since moving my original LBS went tits up, and I became a castaway. So without an advocate, my last Fisher /Trek warranty replacement was an absolute fricking nightmare. To resolve, I bypassed the big LBS' manager to deal directly with Trek's division manager who processed my claim. Still get stink-eyed by that nearby shop, and deal only with a distant smaller LBS who supports the brand.
Please keep us posted.

(tapa)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The strange thing is the cracks seem smooth, i mean the edges arent as sharp as youd expect them to be if the paint just cracked. You can see this in the photos when enlarged fully, look at how the light reflects along the very edge of said cracks.

Im sure he was unaware of the very fine, hard to notice cracks in the bike sitting somewhere on his propery probably untouched for a few years.

Can you elaborate on whether the warranty might be honored if he were to talk to trek instead of me?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Take some sand paper and remove the paint so you can see what's happening underneath. Otherwise you are just guessing.

If it's cracked removing the paint is the least of your worries and if it's not fire some clear nail polish on the area so you can keep an eye on it. You'll be so happy not to be buying a new bike the F-ugliness of that spot won't bug you too much. ;)

If you are able to wrangle some lifetime warranty from Trek taking the paint off won't affect the outcome other than to ensure everyone knows that there is indeed a crack.

May the force be with you! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Flyin W. He bought it in Iowa. Neither of us live there now. Theres an actual Trek store/shop in my city, maybe I could go in there and say Im doing him a favor because he doesnt have time for this kind of bs himself? Probably wouldnt work out too well.

Its worth noting, I took this by an REI shop AND the aforementioned local official TREK STORE/SHOP, both mechanics looked the bike over briefly and neither noticed or mentioned the cracks.

What kind of proof of ownership/purchase would they ask of him/me? I dont use the bike all that much and would be willing to not have it for a bit in exchange for a new frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vikb-

Id be ready to do as you suggested if I thought there was no chance of getting a warranty replacement. Im guessing Trek wouldnt honor it regardless post sanding. If the warranty route doesnt work out then ill probably end up doing that. To be clear though, in the meantime, is there a consensus that it appears unsafe to ride?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Your warranty coverage won't be affected by sanding the area lightly. The folks at Trek or the LBS aren't psychic and won't give you a free frame unless there is a crack so somebody is going to have to take the paint off.

You just have to decide if you want to know the answer to "Is this bike safe to ride?" now or later.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
...What kind of proof of ownership/purchase would they ask of him/me?...
Name of original owner, name & address of dealer where purchased, serial#. If they match they may consider starting a claim. You may want to not sand it first, as painting a frame can void it's warranty.

(tapa)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Flyin W. He bought it in Iowa. Neither of us live there now. Theres an actual Trek store/shop in my city, maybe I could go in there and say Im doing him a favor because he doesnt have time for this kind of bs himself? Probably wouldnt work out too well.

Its worth noting, I took this by an REI shop AND the aforementioned local official TREK STORE/SHOP, both mechanics looked the bike over briefly and neither noticed or mentioned the cracks.

What kind of proof of ownership/purchase would they ask of him/me? I dont use the bike all that much and would be willing to not have it for a bit in exchange for a new frame.
If the bike still has the serial number then they can trace it back to your "brolo el cunado" that way

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
it's due to flex at the joint, which could be par for the course or mean there is a crack or loosening at the joint - but hold up on that sandpaper and take it to a trek shop and let them look at it.

a warranty claim can be declined on a technicality due to altering the original paint. this is stated in their warranty terms.

when trying to warranty a 10 year old bike that you don't have proof of purchase of i wouldn't give them even the smallest out. if trek wants to get a better look under the paint LET THEM do it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts