Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a new 'all mountain' bike.

Looking at new bikes I was struck by how much they look like the bikes I rode 10 years ago... so rather than get a new Taiwanese bike I thought I'd get old an old Californian.

Are there any nightmare scenarios I should know of? Front is 2 years old, rear is 5.

I can get a 2004 Spyder for the same money but it has some small cosmetic dents.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,849 Posts
lewdvig said:

Looking at new bikes I was struck by how much they look like the bikes I rode 10 years ago... so rather than get a new Taiwanese bike I thought I'd get old an old Californian.

Are there any nightmare scenarios I should know of? Front is 2 years old, rear is 5.

I can get a 2004 Spyder for the same money but it has some small cosmetic dents.

Well I can not vouch for the new VPP design as I have never ridden one. But I love my UZZI-SL and it's a proven design. And that horselink design was known to be the best design out for many years. And as some have said is still one of the best. The UZZI-SL is an excellent all mountain ride and if that frame is in as good of shape as it looks in the picture, $500 bones is a great deal. That frame sold for $2000 new in 2002. You said you could get a Spider for the same price. But that frame is more oriented towards a lightweight XC bike. It may not be as burly as you would like. My SL weighs in at 28.5 lbs and is kinda a cross between a long travel freeride bike and a lightweight XC bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
what happened to it that front and rear are of different age. Why a second rear end?
if you can, spend consideable time scanning all the welds for cracks, be it via macro photo's or in person. Spend time checking if the frame is properly aligned. If so, you can relax.
The BB is a bit oddly placed, a bit more forward and up than i'm used to. The adjustable seat tower allows you to find a position that works for you.
That said, allow some money for a modern shock. I found my Uzzi SL heaps better with a float reat shock. An RP3 or a Push should still be a leap forward.
The Uzzi is an all time classic. A spesh enduro, or turner 5spot are very similar, and these are very popular.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,849 Posts
lewdvig said:

Also you are wrong on the age of the front and rear triangle. The front is a 2002' which is the last year they made the UZZI-SL. Judging from the stickers. And the rear triangle along with the spare are 2000' or older. Along with the seat tower. Because of the fact that they are polished. I am not saying someone couldn't have polished a newer version, but most likely not. So that puts the front at 5 years old and the rear at 7 or older. maybe when he said they are 2 years and 5 years, he meant how long they had been used. You might want to question the seller on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.