Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’ve spent the last few months shopping around for new/used bikes. I just got into riding last summer and caught the bug hard - can’t wait for the snow to melt and get out there! Anyways, I was put in touch with a friend-of-a-friend who is heavily into mountain biking (he races quite a bit, coaches too, does his own tunes/repairs). He mentioned that he had a 2012 Trek Superfly that he was willing to part with at a pretty heavy discount, right in (actually a bit below) my budget. Doing my research, I keep getting mixed opinions about the type of riding this bike can handle.

I know this is a pretty XC-race oriented bike - that’s the main build of this bike right? I’ve read a few places that it can double as a trail bike too - or am I wrong on this? I was originally looking at Trek Fuel EX 7 29ers. BUT I can get this SF for less than a brand new Fuel, which makes me think why not? I’d be doing primarily XC, heading to places w/ some 3-4’ drops, gnarly technical stuff. I mostly want a bike that can do-it-all. Not necessarily interested in racing at this point but maybe in the future? What I’m worried about is pigeon-holing myself with a bike that won’t be able to handle the abuse I might throw at it.

EDIT: Second question - how does frame warranty play into second-hand bikes? Would they honor a frame break even if I did not purchase it? New to this, sorry for the newbie question...

Thought I’d post here and see what other SF owners had to say - should I stay away or go for it? FWIW, I trust this guy 100%, this is no scam. Thanks for the input!

Its one of these two bikes, he never specified which. I think it’s Elite, but can’t be sure:

2012 Trek Superfly 100 Elite - BikePedia

2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro - BikePedia

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't have a Superfly, but if you are wanting a more capable "do all" bike, the Fuel will be a better pick. 20-40mm more suspension travel, but a little heavier. The weight is not going to matter a hill of beans, but the suspension travel will matter.

Any bike can be used for anything (I used to race downhills on a Y33 - talk about out of it's element!) but the Fuel would be much more accepting of drops and rough stuff.

Warranties are for the original owner of the bike. So, if you would buy the Superfly, and break the frame, well - ooops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 superfly 100 al (not elite). I also started riding in may of last year and bought the superfly at the end of June. I personally love the bike. My riding consists of moderately technical trail riding up, XC once up, and moderately technical descents. For me it is a great all around bike that I've had very few problems with (broke a chain early on going up hill, mostly due to operator error). I love the downhill, 2-4 foot drops, jumps, berms, rooty sections, etc. I'm 46, I doubt that I will outgrow this bike. However, that doesn't mean that I won't get another bike. The trails I ride have ride arounds for most of the truly hardcore stuff (6'+ drops, giant jumps, etc). I am 5'11, 205 and after testing the medium and large, I went for the medium (17.5). It may have to do with the fact that my previous bike, though I only rode if for a few months, was a large (19.5) 26'er.

I bought mine at LBS for 1850 new with upgraded brakes (Avid XX). Seems like if the bike you are looking at is used, it should be considerably less than the new Fuel.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I have a 2012 Superfly 100 Pro and it does it ALL; XC/Trail/Epics/All-Mountain, etc. It FLIES uphill and handles the techy chunk pretty well(skills helps!). I could only keep ONE BIKE....so I got the best I could afford. YMMV....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts