Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this old Jekyll and the driveline has some minor problems. Primarily, if I stop pedaling, the chain will slip a gear, then go back when I resume pedaling. The derailleur appears to be at least reasonably well adjusted, but it seems to me that the large amount of chain and long cage derailleur might be an improper match for a 1x10 driveline? Would I see satisfactory results with just installing a new, properly sized, chain?
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
what slips ? rear cogs or front chainring ?

and what is with this air gap on the front chainring under the chain ?
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Asphalt

chainring looks mighty worn and chain may be too....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chain length looks ok to me, could possibly remove 2 links but it wouldn't help anything.

Need more clarification of the problem.
OK, let's say I'm hammering along in 8th (think it's 15t) and decided to coast a bit. When I stop pedaling, I hear the chain slap the stay and hear the sound of it shifting gears. When I resume pedaling, I can feel it start in the lower gear, then immediately shift back to the gear it should have been in.

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
OK, let's say I'm hammering along in 8th (think it's 15t) and decided to coast a bit. When I stop pedaling, I hear the chain slap the stay and hear the sound of it shifting gears. When I resume pedaling, I can feel it start in the lower gear, then immediately shift back to the gear it should have been in.

Sounds like a sticky freehub. Put the bike on a stand, if you don't have a proper one hang the nose of the saddle on a handy tree branch.

Then pedal up to speed and coast. If the top of the chain drops and hits the chainstay or if the crankset keeps turning on it's own then it's the freehub.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Sounds like a sticky freehub. Put the bike on a stand, if you don't have a proper one hang the nose of the saddle on a handy tree branch.

Then pedal up to speed and coast. If the top of the chain drops and hits the chainstay or if the crankset keeps turning on it's own then it's the freehub.
this is what I kept thinking too. The chain would have to advance in order to shift a gear, so the hub must be kicking it forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks, I'll mess with the freehub tonight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.