Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i went out riding today, i started off strong! I thought to myself, wow i think ill tackle that long trail ive been wanting to do. So i go and start, about half way up the climb i stop to fix my ipod and i couldnt get going again. I started feeling the light headed and losing vision non-sense so i sat down for a few and drank my water. I recall once or twice in past rides i throw up about now. Then right after, i feel amazing! I got to the top before i knew it and by the time i got down i felt as though i could go again.

Is this hitting the "wall" i hear some athletes talk about? Or is my diet just terrible and throwing it up just relieves my body?

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know what you are talking about. When you first start riding, your body is in anaerobic mode, expending your energy quickly because your body thinks it will be over soon. Then you hit a "wall" or whatever you want to call it. Once you have caught your breath and start riding again, your body has adjusted and is now expending energy more aerobically.

I just call it my warm up period. I have noticed that the older I get, read more out of shape, the longer I need to warm up. Endurance athletes have trained their bodies to just about eliminate this phase. Once past this warm up I am good to go for quite some time.

·
Shifted
262 Posts
this happened to a friend on desert classic the other day. First time out in like 3 years or something. Felt sorry for the poor guy. I remember hitting this wall on a 99 degree day on Desert Classic trying to follow a seasoned rider on a 15 mile DC loop session. When I got back to the tank I wasn't liking my legs/life for a week afterward but pressed on for another ride 1 week later. That was last year though. This year is going better!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
When you hit the "wall", you will know it. Bonking is no fun. I bonked so hard one time on a road ride that I don't remember riding for about 4 miles - I'm not sure if I was asleep or what, but I remember snapping back and realizing that I'm still on my bike. Scary stuff.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
I usually puke at least once a week during rides in the summer. If it's on a Saturday its cuz I'm hungover.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When you hit the wall YOU HIT THE WALL. I bonked on the way home from south mountain. 10'miles from home I started dragging, 5 miles from home all I could think about was food, 3 miles from home I could barely stand upright at the red lights and at half a mile from home I was in serious doubt of even making it home. If you do bonk take at least two to three days off. It causes serious damage and can screw you up for months like it did me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.