Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a bit of a crash today. I went off a jump that I had never cleared before with probably a little too much speed and when I landed there was a tree stump right in my path. I kinda panicked and cranked on the front brake and flew OTB. I think something hit my back because I have this big scrape there lol.

Anyways, I went to pick up my bike and noticed the stem was way crooked. I straightened it out and finished my ride. When I got back home the first thing I did was make sure to tighten up my pinch bolts. One of them was tight, but the other one spins freely no matter how much I turn it.

It feels pretty unmovable but I'm wondering whether or not its ok to still ride with the bolt like that? Do I just need a new bolt or did I eff up the threading of the stem and need a new one? Or can I just swap over one of the bolts that clamps the bar since its not really quite as important? The stem is a sunline V1.

686 Posts
You've either snapped the bolt, or ruined the screw thread. You could drill out the screw, make the hole larger, and tap a larger thread for a larger bolt to go into.
Or you could do the sensible thing and replace it :thumbsup:
Having the stem rotate away from the wheel direction when you land a jump isnt fun and ends in broken bones, trust me :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I found the problem. The bolt was not broken, it came out in one piece but as I was pulling it out I noticed that all the threading of the stem was coiled around the bolt!! I guess I just de-threaded the whole stem! If thats the case I'm not too impressed with the stem. This was my first real ride on it and it was installed with the proper torque specs and all. So, do you think sunline will warranty this??

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Na they won't and truthfully I wouldn't waste my time. It would be much easier to get a new stem... and even easier just to tap it with a larger bolt.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
When in doubt...
How much is a new stem, and in the worst scenario, how much is dental surgery?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up buying a replacement from CRC. Sunline V1 1.5s were $48 and I need one asap for the May long weekend so I decided to get one. Who knows how long it would take if I warrantied it. Besides, now I could resell the warranty replacement and get my $50 back. I'm really disappointed about this stem though. It was my first real ride with it today. I have my fingers crossed for the new one!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Doesn't sound like you should get warranty on that. You crashed. The stem didn't fail catastrophically and you walked away, free to buy a nice new stem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stem itself did not recieve ANY sort of direct impact and still looks brand new. All it really took was the torsional force being applied to the stem by the handlebars. I emailed sunline and so far they have been very helpful. They said that the stem I have was discontinued over a year ago so they cant get me a replacement which is understandable. I'm still out of a stem though for the time being which sucks. If you guys want, I can upload some pics of the stem post incident.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Norcoshore1 said:
I ended up buying a replacement from CRC. Sunline V1 1.5s were $48 and I need one asap for the May long weekend so I decided to get one. Who knows how long it would take if I warrantied it. Besides, now I could resell the warranty replacement and get my $50 back. I'm really disappointed about this stem though. It was my first real ride with it today. I have my fingers crossed for the new one!!
Are you in the US? If so, you overpaid. :D

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sunline-v1-dh-stem-snl0004

Sunline V1 DH 65mm x 1.5" $18

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw that deal too eurospek. I'm in canada so shipping to me is like $20, plus the one I got from CRC was 50mm which is what I wanted after using the 65mm one I have now. To everyone else, after I found out that I had dethreaded the thing it was never a question of whether or not I could use it but rather if I would be compensated for a broken product that was used well within the boundaries of its intended purpose and was not abused or involved in a serious crash resulting in any sort of direct impact. Here are the pics after the crash just to show you how damn near brand new this thing was.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Carbon Rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory White Bicycle Bicycle frame

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the link. I didnt even know Transition made anything other than frames. Some nice cheap bling there and stem is a sweet deal too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts