Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for my first REAL mountain bike for some time. I was always taught that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is....

does anyone know if this site is legit? I'm kinda thinking it's not, but it if is, please leave something for me.

This isn't the actual bike that I am interested in but it's a good sample...

https://www.gmdavislaw.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_3&products_id=9190

I kinda feel like it's mirroring other websites, you pay them and never get anything. Or maybe they kill you on shipping? I don't know because I don't want to enter my info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why take a chance? There are numerous legit sellers out there--your local bike shop probably has some deals on last years models/demos, ebay has money back guarantee, craigslist sometimes has deals (check to see if stolen on BikeIndex.com), and big online stores like ChainReaction, JensonUSA, even bikesdirect, and direct sales companies like Diamondback, YT, Canyon, Commencal etc... have lots of great deals on new and old model/demo bikes.

·
Cycologist
10,337 Posts
No, it's not legit. Drive through any China Town and you'll see lots of businesses with the name "Lucky". If you want to give your credit card info to someone in China and then hope they'll send you a new bike for less than it would sell used on Craigslist, have at it.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I'd say go for it. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have 79 Cannondales in stock that they are letting go for 5% of the MSRP.

Seems legit!

Even the 2004 Kona Caldera has 5 stars! Wow!!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Search this forum for bike buying advice for beginners--there are thousands of posts offering advice on buying new, used etc...

From personal experience as an old guy who got back into riding three years ago, I bought a barely used three year old $3200 full suspension XC bike used from craigslist for $1000. It was a great starter bike but I quickly started spending $ on it (dropper post, clutch derailleur, new tires, chain, shifter, pads, etc...) and then realized what kind of bike I really wanted for the type of riding I wanted to do. Now I have an 2013 bike that I put $1600 into that I rarely use and is probably worth $500 - $600 now--So don't expect to get much money back if you buy an older used bike and try to sell it in a year or two (especially if it has 26 inch wheels like that Orange--few people are buying those). I keep it as a backup/loaner after I got my new $$ bike. Other friends in my position after one ride on my loaner went out and bought a really nice new bike ($$ ) that they are happy with to this day.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
We all want the best deal, but need to be realistic about it.

Post your budget, where you ride and the guys will help you get an idea of what may work. Research but don't overthink it, just get riding.

I'm an old new guy too, and it took a minute to sort out what/where I ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@lojack, I apologize, I missread your post.

I will never spend that kind of money on a bike. I have a 2001 Giant Rincon that was $300 new. Yes, it needs replaced and is holding me back, but it's almost 20 years old. Would I get anything out of it? No, but I've had it for almost 20 years. I expect the same out of my next bike. I don't care about 26 vs 27.5 vs 29. There is no discernible difference to me. What I care about on my next bike is 1) rapid fire shifters 2) a suspension fork (20 years ago it was a $1000bucks for an entry level bike with shocks and 3) I'd like a 1x drivetrain and a dropper post, but those aren't required.

If I could gotten a full suspension Orange for 53 bucks, I would have jumped on it. Right now, I'm debating between a trek Marlin 5, a scott aspect, a cannondale trail 8 or the FSX from bikeisland/bikesdirect. If I find a used higher end whip that I like for under $200 I might score one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We all want the best deal, but need to be realistic about it.

Post your budget, where you ride and the guys will help you get an idea of what may work. Research but don't overthink it, just get riding.

I'm an old new guy too, and it took a minute to sort out what/where I ride.
Oh, of course. I already stated what I have. And I've been ripping it pretty hard on my home singletrack in the Upstate of South Carolina pretty hard. I'm going through a divorce and am living temporarily in Indiana, and the trail near me is....well, weak. there is no ascent/descent at all, but it's got some twisties. No real area to get any speed though. My current bike will work here. I found a shock fork on eBay for 30bucks shift that I believe will fit it and I may buy it, but really, for this track, it's probably not necessary.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
@lojack: I"m gonna be real honest here. I find your advice arrogant and elitist. I plan on getting heavily into the sport, but I will NEVER spend that kind of money on a bike. I have a 2001 Giant Rincon that was $300 new. Yes, it needs replaced and is holding me back, but it's almost 20 years old. Would I get anything out of it? No, but I've had it for almost 20 years. I expect the same out of my next bike. I don't care about 26 vs 27.5 vs 29. There is no discernible difference to me. What I care about on my next bike is 1) rapid fire shifters 2) a suspension fork (20 years ago it was a $1000bucks for an entry level bike with shocks and 3) I'd like a 1x drivetrain and a dropper post, but those aren't required.

If I could gotten a full suspension Orange for 53 bucks, I would have jumped on it. Right now, I'm debating between a trek Marlin 5, a scott aspect, a cannondale trail 8 or the FSX from bikeisland/bikesdirect. If I find a used higher end whip that I like for under $200 I might score one.
Arrogant and elitist are pretty strong adjectives for his post, which was neither.

The reality is that mountain bikes are ungodly expensive, and within limits, you get what you pay for. Another truth reflected in his post is that it is often quite uneconomical to upgrade a bike. There are reasons to do so that transcend economics, but if squeezing the dollar to get a solid bike is your goal, it's usually not the best path.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arrogant and elitist are pretty strong adjectives for his post, which was neither.

The reality is that mountain bikes are ungodly expensive, and within limits, you get what you pay for. Another truth reflected in his post is that it is often quite uneconomical to upgrade a bike. There are reasons to do so that transcend economics, but if squeezing the dollar to get a solid bike is your goal, it's usually not the best path.
Well, I certainly took it, as I've seen a lot on MTB forums (not particularly this one), that I need to spend significant bank to get a nice bike. What I consider nice is different than what others do, for something that you are gonna play with in the dirt and bang up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well, I certainly took it, as I've seen a lot on MTB forums (not particularly this one), that I need to spend significant bank to get a nice bike. What I consider nice is different than what others do, for something that you are gonna play with in the dirt and bang up.
There's no shortage of "gear arms race" in this hobby, and, at times, that devolves into arrogance and elitism. LoJack's post wasn't it.

There are legit features on a $1000+ bike that make mountain biking a better experience. They simply can't be found on sub-$1000 bikes. You have to get in the $3-4k plus range before you're talking arrogance or elitism. Speaking new, MSRP, of course. YMMV in the used market or with last-year's models, etc.

Them's just facts. Hate the game, don't hate the player, as they say.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then why did you link to an $1100 bike on ebay? That is what I assumed your budget was willing to go up to--as you say you want to get into it heavily and spending $1000+ can get you a decent bike. I was just trying to help. Anyway...

As others have said, what is your max budget? $200 won't buy much. What type of riding to do like to do? That might get more useful advice from this forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.