Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
for $100 if it works fine and fits, it's not a bad deal. the guy sounds like a bit of a scammer though, "many people will pay $250 for it" but he's letting it go for $100? seems fishy. many LBSs have better used road stuff for $200-300 and you'd likely get some older STI indexed shifting and such.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i honestly cant find a road bike under $100 here in tucson that is available. does anyone have any ideas of where to go besides craigslist? everyone seems so greedy on there. i have had people who were showing me a bike actually get angry at me for not purchasing it....blaaa craigslists.

·
Registered
27 Posts
road bike...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=70833

these guys seem to be pretty stoked on the bikes. Im not sure of the condition, but if the fit is good, itll be tough to find a bike... If you want under $100, check out the pawn shops, and thrift stores. I stop in once and a while, and they get stuff now and then. AS far as craigslist, i generally see if they will drop the price or settle on a price before I even go look at anything. Good luck...

Wayne

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
people on craigslist are flaky. they also don't understand the concept of "bargaining." offer him $60 for that bike. tell him that's "all i have right now" and see how badly he wants to sell it.

sometimes thrift stores sell really nice bikes cheap. i saw a MINT Panasonic road bike at Goodwill a few weeks ago. it was selling for $15 and the buyer complained that it didn't come with pedals, so the changed the price to $10. if i had been there five minutes earlier, i would have bought that bike, tuned it up, but some pedals on it and sold it on craigslist for a lot more.
garage sales and estate sales are good too because most of the people selling that stuff just want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
either/or said:
I am 6'1 and buying my first road bike, I was thinking about picking this one up. Yay or Nay?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/973119373.html
Can't tell from looking at a picture and an ad with no details. But I'd be wary. Unless you like tinkering and are looking for a project, you might not spend much time actually riding that bike.

Japanese steel frames do ride quite nicely. But I'll bet that bike is more than 20 years old; maybe close to 30 years old. You could end up doubling that $100 asking price just to get it running reliably.
Has it been maintained and cared for?
Drivetrain in good shape?
Brake and shift cables in good condition?
Rims and tires in good shape?
What size rims? A lot of older Japanese bikes used 27" rims instead of the now standard 700c rims, so your tire choices are limited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.