Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 SX Trail came with the DHX 5.0 but I noticed that there isn't a schrader valve on it. The manuals and product pics show one protruding out from the bottom-out adjustment. My guess is that it's removed because it would hit the frame. What gives?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
no all the spech enduro's come with a custom dhx with out the boost valve to stop it hitting the frame i think. this i perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. you can get a custom shock with the boost valve but i think that the stroke has to be shortened to accomodate it not sure tho:confused:

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Arkayne said:
My 06 SX Trail came with the DHX 5.0 but I noticed that there isn't a schrader valve on it. The manuals and product pics show one protruding out from the bottom-out adjustment. My guess is that it's removed because it would hit the frame. What gives?
What you've got there is a non adjustable boost valve pressure. You correctly guessed the valve was removed because of frame interference. It was common on the 06 SX Trail frames. I think all of them came like that, but I may be wrong. All the early reports pointed out to that.

_MK

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geeze, how could they slap on a reduced feature rear shock and still call it a DHX 5.0. It should be called the DHX 5.Gimp. :( How am I supposed to dial-in my BO then. I've gotta make some phone calls now, I'll get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Arkayne said:
Geeze, how could they slap on a reduced feature rear shock and still call it a DHX 5.0. It should be called the DHX 5.Gimp. :( How am I supposed to dial-in my BO then. I've gotta make some phone calls now, I'll get to the bottom of this.
Yeah, technically since it's missing an adjustment, it's a 4.0, but the 4.0 had the boost valve, not bottom-out.

If you want to adjust bottom-out, it has that adjuster doesn't it?

Think yourself lucky, my OEM DHX 3.0 has the boost air-valve, but no Propedal or bottom-out adjustments.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Arkayne said:
unfortunately all you're going to get to the bottom of is the fact that all specialized enduro's with a dhx shock (air or coil) are this way and have been since specialized went from the 5th element to the dhx on the enduro line. this is nothing new and the manuals on the fox website do reference this fact.

how long have you had the bike?

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE='size]unfortunately all you're going to get to the bottom of is the fact that all specialized enduro's with a dhx shock (air or coil) are this way and have been since specialized went from the 5th element to the dhx on the enduro line. this is nothing new and the manuals on the fox website do reference this fact.

how long have you had the bike?[/QUOTE]

After more reading you are right and there really isn't much I can do. I finished the bike build last Sunday. My 03 SX frame cracked and I upgraded to an SX Trail.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I believe the valve is missing because you cant access it without removing the shock. It comes "factory" set, "the boost valve is for the transition from pro pedal to square edge bump absorption and it decouples the bottom out adjustment from the pro pedal" . you still can adjust the propedal with the knob, but as far as adding or removing air no can do
its all in the manual

·
Registered
954 Posts
It is factory preset, so not a huge biggie. I've read that it matches up pretty well vs the DHX that does have the valve still. That being said, I can't wait to get my DHX with the valve on my Enduro on Monday...

·
1:18
526 Posts
I suggest using search function: Specialized forum, type boost.

Short abstract: the valve on Enduro and SX Trail line is missing, you can adjust Bottom out, which changes the IFP pressure (Boost Valve).

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
rm_racer said:
specialized said the the boost presuure is pre-set and has been set to the optimum preussurefor the frame design.even if the valve does fit in there, it would be a pain to change the pressure because you would have to remove the shock to adjust the pressure.
What are they going to say, that's just putting a positive spin on a shortcoming.

I've found that the pressure setting in the DHX 5.0 depends a lot on rider weight. I'm sure the pressure they put in it is fine for the "normal weight" rider, but probably somewhat off if you're much above or below that.

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
.Danno. said:
What are they going to say, that's just putting a positive spin on a shortcoming.

I've found that the pressure setting in the DHX 5.0 depends a lot on rider weight. I'm sure the pressure they put in it is fine for the "normal weight" rider, but probably somewhat off if you're much above or below that.
that's true. different-then-average riders are s.o.l. unless they want tp push their shock or get a real 5.0. i would think they would try to design it so that the shrader valve would fit...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yes and spec screws people again and tells them its for their own good. Should be a DHX 4.1, and that thread talking about how great the fifth is for them (their custom design) and all that what a load now fifth isnt even in the industry and has failed to send us shock bushing 3 times now and when we asked about it after the 1st time not seeing them for 2 weeks they said oh well parts dont ship untill a month after order anyway! Can you believe that now its been 3 months and nothing, decent product but go back to harleys they suck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.