Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
If its in good shape I would say YES!!!

If you look a couple of posts down you will see that PCinSC just bought a 2002 rfx with 5&6" rockers for about the same price. His came with the Van shock.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
There are a number of threads over the past several months on this very frame - do a search on "RFX fifth element" or "RFX 7 rocker", something like that. This guy's been trying to sell the frame for quite a while now.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
probably because of the funky seven inch rockers and the 5th element shock. The frame utilizes a 2.0 inch stroke shock for it's seven inches of travel, which gives you a leverage ratio of 3.5 to 1, which is very high [not good]. Stock RFX set-ups are a 3 to 1 leverage ratio, which is considered by many to be as high as you want to go before performance and feel suffer. The 5th element shock found it's way onto this frame probably to deal with the high leverage ratio. Now I haven't ridden this frame, but the suspension stroke might have a funny/strange feel to it with those rockers on it. Now the 5 inch rockers are fine, but they might also feel funny with that 5th elemnet shock as well.
There must be a good reason why this frame keeps coming up for sale as often as it does.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Looking at RFXs and found a used 2002 frame with 7" and 5" rockers and a 5th Element shock for $900. Is it worth the money?
Personally, I'd be nervous about those homemade 7" rockers. Others have addressed the issues. Then again, maybe they work well.

You could alway just use the 5" rockers (which I believe is the way it was designed). The one I bought came with the 5" and 6", and I'm gonna run it with the 5's for now. Check the frame over carefull, although the word I got from Jarett at Turner was, "that frame will not break."

I do have one problem with mine that I discovered after I purchased. Based on the pic you posted it would not be an issue with that frame. If you're interested in more details PM me and I'll give them to you. I don't want to post about it publicly until the problem is fully resolved.

I'd offer less than asking price, as others have said it's been on the market for a little bit and the seller may be itchin to get rid of it. Then again, maybe not. It's worth a shot, though, and unless it's in mint condition it's debatable whether that frame is worth $900.

Keep in mind that the frame weighs in at 9+lbs. I don't know if that'll be an issue for you if it's mainly for XC riding. I'm a big guy (260+lbs) so I absolutely wanted a beefy frame. And man did I get it. ;)

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Patrick

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Is the classified ad current? Unless there's two of these things floating around, it's been sold on ebay about a week ago. Check on completed listings and you can find it. One person bid twice on it.

Edit: buyer must have backed out. it's back on ebay.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
HA!:D no kidding. I've seen that frame listed over and over on ebay, but I thought it was finally sold when someone bid on it and won. things are never what they seem:madman:

It's debatable whether it's worth $900. If I were to buy it I would want to pick up 5" or 6" rockers and possibly a new shock, adding to the overall cost. I guess it depends on how bad you want the old RFX geometry over the new 6pack/rfx geo.

The frame appears to be in great shape, although it's always hard to tell from a picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.