Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a ride, and noticed a couple of the side knobs on my 2.35 DTC had ripped off.

•I am running this tire in the rear on an Enduro SL
•The tire has about 150 miles on it
•I weigh about 215 lbs. with gear
•I run 40 psi. all the time
•Not using sealant

Is this common with this tire, and is there any warranty claim to be made here?

I have run WTB WW’s, Prowler’s, Moto Raptors, Mutano Raptors, Ritchey, Specialized Resolutions, and Fastraks, and have never had this happen before.

Not really a big deal, but it would keep me from buying another Nevegal if this is a normal occurance.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have had that happen more than 3 times on my nevegals. I have had it happen during DH races, freeriding and aggressive x country. They wear down super fast and at a fairly high pressure, which 40 is for what I ride, they have ripped knobs right off. I no longer run nevegals for many reasons but that is one of them.
I haven't seen it on just a x country ride though.
There is no warranty issue that you have that I am aware of.
Switch to maxxis and thank me later.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That happened to both of my buddy's Nevegals that came on his Remedy after just a few rides. He took the tires back to where he purchased the bike and Kenda sent him new tires for free. It may be worth trying to get them warrantied.

I have used the Neve several times front and rear and have never had the problem. I think they are great tires for high traction.

·
Registered
138 Posts
nevegals

I've been running the Nevegals 2.1 for about two seasons now.

I'm running them at 40psi and I'm 195lbs, riding XC in technical rooty rocky Northeast conditions.

I love the traction I get from these tires in the wet, mud, rocks, and snow, but everytime I check the sidewalls I've got another small tear.:eek:

This has happened on a few different ones and I've patched the insides of the sidewall when I catch it early, but I'm through with them for my conditions. They just aren't long lasting.

They are also too pricey to be replacing them as much as I have.

My guess is that if your tearing knobs off where you ride, this may not be a durable enough tire for your riding and terrain.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Hey e-bo-b, I have never had this happen to me with Nevegals, but have seen it a couple of other times with the DTC tires. Yours look like they have enough wear on them that they would not likely be "warranty" cantidates even if there was a standing precedent for it. It is something that a few tire brands have had happen from time to time. There was a vintage of Big S tires that tore knobs years ago, seen it on Panaracers, IRC, Michelin, etc... Was this on the rear?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
e-bo-b said:
Just got back from a ride, and noticed a couple of the side knobs on my 2.35 DTC had ripped off.

Not normal, but I have seen it happen in posts here and in person. A couple customers and one guy at the shop had it happen and Kenda replaced three tires as warranty. One had probably the wear and age of yours. They sent photos to Kenda first and then the tires were requested for examination, and then replaced.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ATBScott said:
Hey e-bo-b, I have never had this happen to me with Nevegals, but have seen it a couple of other times with the DTC tires. Yours look like they have enough wear on them that they would not likely be "warranty" cantidates even if there was a standing precedent for it. It is something that a few tire brands have had happen from time to time. There was a vintage of Big S tires that tore knobs years ago, seen it on Panaracers, IRC, Michelin, etc... Was this on the rear?
Hey Scott, have you noticed that Nevegals wear more quickly in Bay Area conditions than other tires? I was really surprised with how few miles I got out of them. I liked the tread a lot, but might have to get a part time job at this rate.

What's a similar tread that wears a little longer? Someone mentioned Maxxis...

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Personally, I have noticed that Kenda tires seem to wear fairly fast - esp on the rear. That said, I have ridden a few different ones and I like the way they perform. Dan'ger swears by the Blue Groove on Fr and the Nev on the rear... Specialized, love 'em or hate 'em, has a pretty good line of tires out most of the time and the current line up seems pretty good. You might try an Eskar for the rear - it looks great. Maxxis is Cheng Shin's "high end" line and they tend to be pretty good tires - lots of pros racing and winning with them. One of the guys at Annadel on 12/30 had an Excavator on the bike and was liking it - can't remember who - GuruAtma maybe? High Roller, ADvantage, and a number of other tires have gotten great reports that I have heard. I like some WTB tires too - but they have a tendency (at least for my riding style) to be a bit more condition-specific. If you are more of a point-and-shoot sort of rider, who locks up the rear more in corners, the "DH" style tires seem to work better as they seem to grip strong while straight up, and then when leaned hard or sliding - though that doesn't mean they can't carve. If you are a "carver" in your turns and go for smoothness, then look for tires that are a bit rounder and will have even traction across the face, and grip consistently as you change lean angle. That'd be great if Kenda does a warranty replacement on your tires. 150 miles is pretty low on the life, even for a softer tire in the rocks. A friend of mine is using the WTB Stout in the rocky stuff down in So Cal and really likes it, though it's a bit heavy... If Kenda replaces your tire, use it, if not, then start going through the product reviews and see what gets the best reviews. I always look at the NUMBER of reviews as well as the score - a "5" score with only a couple reviews doesn't carry as much weight with me as a "4.7" with a bunch of reviews.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,577 Posts
e-bo-b said:

•I am running this tire in the rear on an Enduro SL
•The tire has about 150 miles on it
•I weigh about 215 lbs. with gear
•I run 40 psi. all the time
•Not using sealant

I have run WTB WW's, Prowler's, Moto Raptors, Mutano Raptors, Ritchey, Specialized Resolutions, and Fastraks, and have never had this happen before.

Not really a big deal, but it would keep me from buying another Nevegal if this is a normal occurance.
I have had this happen with 2 Nevegal 2.35 tires. One was a DTC. It was on the rear, and the tire had a lot of miles on it, and was pretty much at the end of it's tread life, so it was not an issue. I the other tire was a Stick-E, and spend some time front and rear. It happened after a few moths of use, well before I was ready to replace due to tread wear. It probably had about 200 miles on it.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Same thing happened to me on two different sets of Nev DTC. However, always the rear tire. I guess they can't take the rear-end side load. I only run them in front as a result. No problem as a front.

I ran Nev UST in the past but no issues there since they use harder compound.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I rode Nevegals for 3 years - most 2.35 (all 2.35 rear), a few 2.5 front, some DTC and some STickE.

This led to the demise of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Not one tire made it without shedding knobs. Sometimes knobs would be gone within a week. Sometimes it would be months. Usually it happened that when one went, many others were barely hanging on.

Yes, Kenda will warranty that tire if it really only has 150mi.
Yes, Kenda is aware of the problem.
Yes, Kenda should fix the issue instead of continuing to make them.

It really got to the point that I was sick of replacing Nevegals every 3 months. People talk about how $$$ Schwalbe tires are...well, over the course of a year, I see myself going thru less than half of the tires that I was going thru before, so the difference in cost is well worth it.

Oh, FWIW - this is common in my group of riders, it is a known problem. Several have had warranty replacements issued several times. The Nevegal is a great tire for loose-over and rocky conditions, but it really doesn't hold up under those conditions.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
General Hickey said:
I know more than few people who run Nevegals, never heard of anything like this.

If it was a normal occurance, I doubt they would be as popular a tire as they are.
My first set of Nevegals were awesome. Ever since then I've had issues w/ side knobs tearing off, to the point where I no longer run them. Most of my friends have the same issues. My wife (120 lbs) uses them and NEVER has an issue w/ tearing off knobs. Perhaps it's a weight related thing?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.