Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some thing and I’ve noticed about my fork over the past couple weeks: When it is unweighted, you can basically push it through the first 5+ mm of travel with the touch of a feather. Also, if you try to pull the lower down, they will go down about 10 mm. Overall, there’s a lot of wiggle to it when it is unweighted.

Is this normal? If not what needs to be done to fix it?

For some background: the fork started life with 130mm of travel, but this past winter I had my local shop swap out the air shaft to extend it to 140 mm travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That sounds like they have made the negative spring volume large enough that the fork "tops out" on air pressure rather than a topout bumper.

Some people don't like it because they think they're missing out on travel that they paid for but AFAIK the consequence of large negative volume in a fork is greater initial sensitivity and a better spring rate curve in the mid stroke so I'm not sure it's actually a bad thing.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably got a big blob of grease in the negative chamber making it build too much negative pressure.
The owner of the shop who worked on this LOVES to put TONS of grease on things, so you might have hit the nail on the head.

After doing some research it sound like air in the negative chamber as others have suggested. I am going to try letting all the air out and filling it back up. I am not sure if it is really effecting the performance of the fork or not, but the front end did feel a bit noodly on my last rid, could also have been tire pressure or fork pressure though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.