Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the pic below, my drivetrain's in the big big combo:

I have a friend who swears my chain's too short. But when measuring the chain I do the normal big big combo w/o running it through the derailleur, and add two full links. My buddy says he adds 4 full links.

I'm assuming it's fine, b/c I don't have shifting issues, and haven't ever had an issue out on the trail. The derailleur does look likes it's pulled a tad too much, but I thought that was b/c the chain guide's taking up the slack, so adding links back in would defeat the purpose of the chain guide.

I've got the same set up on both the RFX and Highline, so any thoughts or advice appreciated, thanks.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Looks ok to me, I always like to see what it looks like on the small cog at the rear as well, I usually run mine chains tighter than most LBS do but rarely have chain issues only ever broken one chain, I'm pretty smooth on the shifting, so if its good for ya RFX stup then I'd say ya good to go, go what works for you :thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It will tighten more as the suspension compresses. Take the upper bolt out of the shock and allow the bike to sag until the i2i distance is 5.5". If the chain does not come tight to the point where the rear derailleur is pretty much pulled straight forward then you will be fine. The old method of big-big-plus-two links doesn't mean jack on full suspension bikes where "chain growth" is a potential monkey wrench.

Edit: I just noticed it's a Highline. To simulate bottoming the suspension take the shock off and let the suspension compress until you have achieved the shock's normal minimum (bottomed) i2i. 5.5" would be for an RFX or Spot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
heck yeah it's normal...

if you're using 2 links!

If your Turners work fine with 2 links, leave it be (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Really though, when I suggest to use 2 links (assuming you were talking about me), it was because you were having ghost shifting issues with your Nomad.

I don't always use 4 links...as tscheezy suggested, it depends on the suspension design and it's affect on chain growth. My Heckler and SL has a significant amount of chain growth so I use 4 links. My hardtail, obviously with no chain growth, I use 2 links.

Nice HL BTW.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Just an academic question but is chain growth at it's max at full travel? I thought since the path is an arc the max growth could be somewhere near midway.

My RFX and spot are setup to look like that in big big. No problems. But as Ts said take your shock off and watch the chain thorugh the stroke.

If you spend a lot of time in Big/Big and your chainline is bad you might want to add a link, but I think you should be okay. Oh and FWIW the last time I had I ghost shifting, my chain was too long. After I dropped a couple of links the problem went away. Go figure.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,290 Posts
tscheezy said:
Take the upper bolt out of the shock and allow the bike to sag until the i2i distance is 5.5".
Bingo!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,290 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Just an academic question but is chain growth at it's max at full travel?
99.9% of the time, yes.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks boys, appreciate the info. Sounds like it's fine, but I'll take the front shock bolt off and cycle the suspension as Tscheezy suggested just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.