Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was adjusting my rear disc brake and to test if one or both pads were rubbing the disc, I lifted the rear tire and spun it. As I watched the tire spin, I noticed that the cassette has a slight wobble, or is it the tire that has the wobble and thus making the cassette wobble. It's barely noticeable, very slight. I don't know, am I seeing things. Or is a little wobble normal?

Also, I have another question. Since most people rarely ever remove the rear tire for transportation or whatever, does this mean it or the rear skewer doesn't need adjustment from time to time? If no, how often do you have to readjust the skewer for tightness and security?

And for those with disc brakes, whenever you remove a wheel and put it back on or even when you play with the skewer without removing the wheel from the fork or seatstay, do you have to make disc pad readjustments? I noticed that I have to do this sometimes with my rear whenever I unlock and then lock the skewer. Is this also normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
djork said:
I was adjusting my rear disc brake and to test if one or both pads were rubbing the disc, I lifted the rear tire and spun it. As I watched the tire spin, I noticed that the cassette has a slight wobble, or is it the tire that has the wobble and thus making the cassette wobble. It's barely noticeable, very slight. I don't know, am I seeing things. Or is a little wobble normal?

Yes, it is normal for the cassette to wobble slightly.

Also, I have another question. Since most people rarely ever remove the rear tire for transportation or whatever, does this mean it or the rear skewer doesn't need adjustment from time to time? If no, how often do you have to readjust the skewer for tightness and security?

No adjustment needed. You may want to check the qr to make sure it is in the dropouts correctly, but it is usually not an issue as long as you are not removing the wheel.

And for those with disc brakes, whenever you remove a wheel and put it back on or even when you play with the skewer without removing the wheel from the fork or seatstay, do you have to make disc pad readjustments? I noticed that I have to do this sometimes with my rear whenever I unlock and then lock the skewer. Is this also normal? Thanks!
Yes, it is normal to have to do small adjuustments to the alaignment of the brakes. It is critical that you make sure the axle is all the way in the dropouts any time you mess with the qr's.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
The freewheel lockring

damion said:
Yes, it is normal to have to do small adjuustments to the alaignment of the brakes. It is critical that you make sure the axle is all the way in the dropouts any time you mess with the qr's.
could be loose. its not like it will fall off or anything but if the cassette is loose on the freewheel body it will grind into the freewheel body reducing the tolerances between their inerface.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,873 Posts
djork said:

When you remove the wheel of a hydrolic disk brake , be sure not to squeeze the lever. The will close tight. You will need to pry them apart with something to get the wheel back in. When traveling with the wheel off in a fork mount, stuff a folded up business card in between the pads.

Take off rear wheel. Grab the axle (no skewer in) on either side. Wiggle ? Yes or No.

If Yes ; You will need to remove the cassette to reach the drive side nut. You should just have the lbs take care of it this time.

If No ; Grab the casstte and wiggle . Did it wiggle ? (axle test first) If yes then a lock ring tool will be needed to tighten the cassette.

If No wiggle again, then turn the bike upside down. Grab the downtube , put a foot on the seat , and pull on a drop out one at a time.

Get the wiggle yet?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had two hubs that made the cassette woble when the back wheel spun. One was new so I think it has something to do with a manufaturing mistake in the hub. Both still work to this day and they were both Shimano XT hubs. But check that everything is tight and if it is I wouldnt worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.