Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new place and my criteria are kinda silly. Will there be space to store all my bikes inside without it looking like some college dorm? How will my bikes fit in the place? How easy is it to take my bike in and out? These are some of the questions I'm asking myself. My current living arrangement allows me to store 5 bikes inside and 2 outside. But I'm looking to move and have found this nice quaint studio apartment that is reasonably priced and has a carport (one of my criteria because I have two cars), and believe it or not the dealbreaker is if it can't accomodate my bikes and has no carport then I'll check it off. I don't think it will fit all 7 bikes (plus a bunch of bike parts) without sacrificing space for maybe a bookshelf and a big desk. My plan is to leave my wagon at my parents with one bike stored inside and one of "outdoor" commuter bikes stored there as well. Don't feel comfortable leaving it outside these new place if I decide to lease it.

While I can afford a decent apartment in some cities, the places I want to live in are pretty pricey. I can probably afford it but being single I just need a place to sleep, relax, and store my stuff, so don't want to spend anymore than I have to. Btw, this place has a pretty big kitchen with space to actually have a table and chairs to dine. I might use this kitchen space to store bikes :p

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,977 Posts
Sounds normal to me I sleep with my bike.

·
Ride More, Work Less
7,774 Posts
Bit insane, sure. But where is the fun in not being a bit insane.

It probably goes without saying that the home should have higher priority. When you factor the cost of moving, you don't want to make a short term decision that will cost you down the road. Selling a few bikes now might be the solution.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Sounds like a new episode of Extreme Hoarders - bicycles gone wild! :D

Seriously, I too seek the easy access and secure storage part.
Unless you have a spare room for storage, or live in a house storing multiple bikes is tough.
Oh yeah, high ceilings can be your best friend.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dirt Junkie: I'm not on that level of crazy...yet.

Hawg: wait--what...you mean to say there are people here with only one bike?

Heyall: I agree, I like to think I'm still reasonable and try to see the situation in the long run.

Other than bikes I do have quite a bit of books, which I don't want to part with.

And oh, my bikes each serve a distinct function...so they're justified :p

Full suspension
26 hardtail
29 rigid (weight weenie)
700 stealth commuter (strictly for commuting to work and probably closest to a road bike that I'll ever get)
26 SS rigid commuter and errand-runner
26 rigid grocery-getter, city cruiser, commuter, heavy-duty workhorse
26 hardtail that I built for former gf...don't really want to sell because I'd like to give it to her someday...that was a labor of love....

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Well if you're asking those questions while you post in the OC, I have some news for you....

·
GONE
25,529 Posts
Dirt Junkie: I'm not on that level of crazy...yet.

Hawg: wait--what...you mean to say there are people here with only one bike?

Heyall: I agree, I like to think I'm still reasonable and try to see the situation in the long run.

Other than bikes I do have quite a bit of books, which I don't want to part with.

And oh, my bikes each serve a distinct function...so they're justified :p

Full suspension
26 hardtail
29 rigid (weight weenie)
700 stealth commuter (strictly for commuting to work and probably closest to a road bike that I'll ever get)
26 SS rigid commuter and errand-runner
26 rigid grocery-getter, city cruiser, commuter, heavy-duty workhorse
26 hardtail that I built for former gf...don't really want to sell because I'd like to give it to her someday...that was a labor of love....
Yes, I only have one pair of legs so I only own one bike with one set of cranks. In short, my life has bigger and better things in it than just biking.

On a serious note, you should consider renting a storage unit from a reputable company and make sure to insure it!!! You could set up a work bench inside for all your goodies.

·
****** to the dirt
5,122 Posts
Don't forget you are going to need some room for the other bikes, that you are going to be adding to your collection.

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
While I can afford a decent apartment in some cities, the places I want to live in are pretty pricey. I can probably afford it but being single I just need a place to sleep, relax, and store my stuff, so don't want to spend anymore than I have to. Btw, this place has a pretty big kitchen with space to actually have a table and chairs to dine. I might use this kitchen space to store bikes :p
Last place I rented had a big eat-in kitchen. I kept my bikes where the table would go. I only had 2 though.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Looking for a new place and my criteria are kinda silly. Will there be space to store all my bikes inside without it looking like some college dorm? How will my bikes fit in the place? How easy is it to take my bike in and out? These are some of the questions I'm asking myself. My current living arrangement allows me to store 5 bikes inside and 2 outside. But I'm looking to move and have found this nice quaint studio apartment that is reasonably priced and has a carport (one of my criteria because I have two cars), and believe it or not the dealbreaker is if it can't accomodate my bikes and has no carport then I'll check it off. I don't think it will fit all 7 bikes (plus a bunch of bike parts) without sacrificing space for maybe a bookshelf and a big desk. My plan is to leave my wagon at my parents with one bike stored inside and one of "outdoor" commuter bikes stored there as well. Don't feel comfortable leaving it outside these new place if I decide to lease it.

Get rid of 1 car or get rid of a few bikes. Don't want to get rid of them? Find a place with a separate room only for the bikes!! Or get creative.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update...I got the place. Woohoo! It's actually bigger than I'd thought, so that's a plus. I think I can probably fit 6 bikes in the kitchen "dining" area, maybe more inside the apt but that's pushing it. I want to use a small space in the main living area as a "living room."

Man, I hate moving. So far I've done all the move myself using my rarely driven but much-loved Volvo wagon. So no, can't get rid of this second car, or as my insurance company calls it "pleasure vehicle" lol! I wish.

The fun part will be decorating...I'm no interior decorator though...but I do want to make the place look like a (mature) adult lives there. I'm going with earth tones to give that classy look :p Other than my bikes in the kitchen, bike parts wil be stored away properly. Decorations will be plants and my favorite pre-Raphaelite paintings (probably posters framed) and not posters of bikes and cars and muisc stuff. The place will be clean and not like some bachelor's pad.

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
Just an update...I got the place. Woohoo! It's actually bigger than I'd thought, so that's a plus. I think I can probably fit 6 bikes in the kitchen "doning" area, maybe more inside the apt but that's pushing it. I want to use a small space in the main living area as a "living room."

Man I hate moving. So far I've done all the move myself using my rarely driven but much-loved Volvo wagon. So no, can't get rid of this second car, or as my insurance company calls it "pleasure vehicle" lol! I wish.

The fun part will be decorating...I'm no interior decorator though...but I do want to make the place look like a (mature) adult lives there. I'm going with earth tones to give that classy look :p Other than my bikes in the kitchen, bike parts wil be stored away properly. The place will be clean and not like some bachelor's pad.
Lol, 6 bikes in the kitchen will never be seen as "mature." This is the stereotypical definition of a bachelor pad. :thumbsup: :) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now get yerself a pretty little filly and ride on.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Just an update...I got the place. Woohoo! It's actually bigger than I'd thought, so that's a plus. I think I can probably fit 6 bikes in the kitchen "dining" area, maybe more inside the apt but that's pushing it. I want to use a small space in the main living area as a "living room."

Man, I hate moving. So far I've done all the move myself using my rarely driven but much-loved Volvo wagon. So no, can't get rid of this second car, or as my insurance company calls it "pleasure vehicle" lol! I wish.

The fun part will be decorating...I'm no interior decorator though...but I do want to make the place look like a (mature) adult lives there. I'm going with earth tones to give that classy look :p Other than my bikes in the kitchen, bike parts wil be stored away properly. Decorations will be plants and my favorite pre-Raphaelite paintings (probably posters framed) and not posters of bikes and cars and muisc stuff. The place will be clean and not like some bachelor's pad.
Don't sweat the small stuff. There's lots of girls around with things piercing their faces and other body parts and tats who are fit and ride fixies. I bet you even know a few. And I'd also bet that they are not averse to the idea of regular and even frequent sex.

So there you go. You are already set-up. You just don't know it!

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. There's lots of girls around with things piercing their faces and other body parts and tats who are fit and ride fixies. I bet you even know a few. And I'd also bet that they are not averse to the idea of regular and even frequent sex.

So there you go. You are already set-up. You just don't know it!
Yeah baby!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts