Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ride an old bike (2001 Trek STP200). I have XTR M950 v brakes, M952 RDR and the M952 brake lever/shifter combos. These have the optical gear display... it drives me crazy. I didn't know until a month or so ago that there are covers to replace these.

Am I going to be able to find the covers to replace my OGD on the M952s? Do newer models fit?

I know this is shallow.... I know it shouldn't bug me so much... but it does for some reason.

Thanks for reading. :)

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is what I was thinking... ebay is no help either... :) thanks for the input though.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
You don't need a cover, just a few small stickers to cover the 2 screw holes and 1 larger center hole.

I've ridden my M952 combos without any kind of cover for years and not experienced any issues with dirty shifter internals.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Gorilla tape and it's done. (Man I love that stuff)

Or if you're the anal retentive type, call Shimano USA, they have the more of the most random things than you can possibly imagine....
I love that stuff too! Just used it on a recent "ghetto tubeless" conversion...

Knight, just don't re-use the OGD mounting screws without some kind of spacer. If you screw them in alone, they'll be too long and will mess with your shifting.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jtmartino said:
I love that stuff too! Just used it on a recent "ghetto tubeless" conversion...

Knight, just don't re-use the OGD mounting screws without some kind of spacer. If you screw them in alone, they'll be too long and will mess with your shifting.
Good to know... sounds like I will be taking them off and looking for an alternative... if none is found, tape is my friend :D

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ettore said:
Are the covers mounted on them in some weird location? My XT shifters I just bought (obviously, not the same, but still) had the covers clipped on underneath the indicator.
:lol: So I had to go look and in the process of pulling one off, the cheap little screw stripped out :lol: but no, the covers are not under anything... thanks to the screw, I decided to go ahead and remove them using a drill on the screw head. :D better already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.