Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm posting in the right area, I really like this 2014 giant revel 2. My question is this a good price? According to the bicycle blue book it should be priced around 160 so I will see if he is negotiable. I'm not looking for anything extreme. Mostly riding to work and easy/moderate trails (but how extreme could this bike handle)? Thanks!!https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/413029566163106/

·
jcd's best friend
3,442 Posts
I would consider a gravel bike to commute and take out on the gravel trails. Gravel bikes are much lighter than mountain bikes which makes your commute much easier. The bigger tires on the gravel bike give you a balance of riding efficiency on concrete/asphalt and being able to ride on gravel too.

That bike you posted has a 3x7 drivetrain which gives you some range but I'm not a fan of Shimano Tourney parts. Depending on the trail difficulty, those parts may not last. You typically find Tourney parts on commuters and mountain bikes that don't see a ton of moderate trail action. You also find a ton of Tourney parts on Walmart/K-Mart bikes too. Tourney parts are not junk by any means but they weren't designed to ride on moderate trails over an extended period of time.

A few months ago, I ran into someone who was out on his brand new mountain bike with Tourney parts. He barely made it up the trail and his Tourney derailleur snapped and went into his spokes. He said that was his first ride ever on a mountain bike. If I recall, it was some entry level Fuji bike he bought from Performance Bike. He had to hike the bike while holding up the back wheel to get it back to his car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, ok thank you Battery. We do have some nice trails in the area that I would like to hit up once in a blue moon. My commute to work is only like half a mile. I occasionally use my girlfriends 90s trek with ease to get to work.

Was initially excited about finding this bike, dang.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
NO, because it has rim brakes. There is nothing worse than going downhill and having the brakes not work well enough to stop in time. Even with more casual riding they may constantly need adjustment.

Always look for a bike that has disc brake post mounts (eg. that has disk brakes). If they are mechanical disk brakes, and they work good enough for you, great. If, not hydraulic brakes are easy to install (even easier than mechanicals), and a decent beginner set starts at $70 for Tektro Aurigas. Decent brakes and tires are by far the first thing you need to find if you want to mountain bike, the rest comes later. Don't put the cart before the horse and end up in Urgent Care.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
NO, because it has rim brakes. There is nothing worse than going downhill and having the brakes not work well enough to stop in time. Even with more casual riding they may constantly need adjustment.
Rim brakes? Are we looking at the same bike?

Its a decent bike for $200, but definitely try to work them on the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Always look for a bike that has disc brake post mounts (eg. that has disk brakes). If they are mechanical disk brakes, and they work good enough for you, great. If, not hydraulic brakes are easy to install (even easier than mechanicals), and a decent beginner set starts at $70 for Tektro Aurigas. Decent brakes and tires are by far the first thing you need to find if you want to mountain bike, the rest comes later. Don't put the cart before the horse and end up in Urgent Care.
Specs says Tektro Novela mechanical disc..

·
Registered
15,016 Posts
The fork you see is for looks. It's got a spring inside and plastic bushings. No rebound damping. It will work on smooth trails and bike paths. That's what it was designed for. A mountain bike fork has metal bushings inside. Plastic bushings will start leaking fast on bumpy trails. No adjustable rebound damping so you get pogoing when going over multiple rocks. That makes it exciting to try controlling the bike. That's when you find you want really good brakes. . . . .So the bike doesn't belong on rocky/rooty trails with steep downhills. All the fun stuff.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,898 Posts
the bike is fine get it and ride a ton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.