Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are this fake Ringle skewers?

I suspect that the purple skewer is a fake, but I am not sure about the red one. What do you think?

The purple is Ti the red is steel.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The purple feels like it is forged not CNC machined. The backside is solid on booth, on the Bike Pro site the backside is not solid but there is some material that has been machined, check out http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/seatposts/aringbolt.html

Also check out the difference in the holes between the red and purple skewer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure if it's fake, but remember lots of people made skewers that looked like that, not just Ringle. I agree about the machining comment though - purple looks forged. And the non-QR end on the red one looks identical to the Ringle Twister I've got in front of me, wheras the other one doesn't.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
erkan said:
The purple feels like it is forged not CNC machined. The backside is solid on booth, on the Bike Pro site the backside is not solid but there is some material that has been machined, check out http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/seatposts/aringbolt.html

Also check out the difference in the holes between the red and purple skewer
Mine does not have the maching either. However BikePro is from '96 (or so) and mine QR is on a '91 bike. I'm sure the design improved with age.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the nuts look exactly the same without the rubber ring on the red one. I think I will keep the purple ones (I have a full set), no one will see they are not original Ringle I think.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I saw some German made ringle clones in a German magazine in 1993. These might be the ones. I think the company was called 'Bike-tech'.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bike tech cloned almost everything

Brakes - similar to Grafton
Skewers - similar to Ringle
Rims - similar to Sun
Cranks- similar to Cook
Frames - similar to Ritchey, Fat
Stems / Bars - similar to Ritchey

The guy behind Bike tech now runs the company "Storck" and everybody with a tiny bit of proud in himself would not a buy a bike from that company. However they seem to sell anyway...

by the way: Storck frames are Klein-clones

·
Registered
839 Posts
erkan said:
I suspect that the purple skewer is a fake, but I am not sure about the red one. What do you think?

The purple is Ti the red is steel.

Dude I sold the red to you and IT IS NOT A FAKE???

I had lost the black plastic O-ring, sorry, but you could see that in my auction photo.

I'll happily refund you, if you post it back

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,

The red one is not a fake.

All images of Ringle quick releases I have and have seen have some metal machined from the backside so I asumed all cam/ti releases where just like that.

There is no problem with the plastic o-ring.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nutallabrot said:
Bike tech cloned almost everything

Brakes - similar to Grafton
Skewers - similar to Ringle
Rims - similar to Sun
Cranks- similar to Cook
Frames - similar to Ritchey, Fat
Stems / Bars - similar to Ritchey

The guy behind Bike tech now runs the company "Storck" and everybody with a tiny bit of proud in himself would not a buy a bike from that company. However they seem to sell anyway...

by the way: Storck frames are Klein-clones
Yes I have noticed that.

I dont know how the name 'Stock' feels in your country but here in Sweden naming a bike 'Storck' makes people laugh.

·
Steel is Real!
124 Posts
erkan said:
Hello,

The red one is not a fake.

All images of Ringle quick releases I have and have seen have some metal machined from the backside so I asumed all cam/ti releases where just like that.

There is no problem with the plastic o-ring.
The red one is identical to my wheel skewers. Early Cam Locks weren't machined on the back. I think that came in when they brought out the ti - Stix version

Having said that, it may have been intro'd earlier on the seat binder.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Crell said:
The red one is identical to my wheel skewers. Early Cam Locks weren't machined on the back. I think that came in when they brought out the ti - Stix version

Having said that, it may have been intro'd earlier on the seat binder.
The red one is also identical to my wheel skewers, except mine are black. I didn't think they were Ringle but I could be wrong. I bought them used by the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Ti-Sticks were the only skewers to have the rear hogged out. All of the Ti versions were this way. The red one is authentic, the purple one is not. Look at the pivot pin that the skewer pivots on and you will see the pin is drilled through. All the Ringle versions have a solid pivot with the pin centered punched to keep it from backing out. I have had ever version of the Ringle skewers even the road vesions, and the twisters, and they have all been like your red one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.