Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What every happen to mtn bike 21 speeds??? The cassetts, chains and chain rings use to last a lot longer than the 9 speed drivetran. We jumped to 8 then 9 and now there is talk of 10 speed rr. cassetts. What are the driving forces for this change?
For those with 9 speed cassetts, you end up throwing your rr. cassett away because 2 or 3 rings are worn out yet the rest are in perfect condition. You never wear down all gears evenly.

Is this evolution or capitalism? Can some one explain how much more enjoyment a 27speed is over a 21 speed or for that matter a 30 speed??? :rolleyes: I've converted to single speed two years ago , so 21 or even 15 speeds seems plenty to me.

gonzo

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It doesn't matter to me either way. I've had a 9 speed since '00 and no problems. Maybe I don't ride hard enough. Maybe I don't complain enough. Definitely capitalism though. You wouldn't even have a single speed if someone didn't plan on making a buck.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
you are correct, sir

gonzo said:
What every happen to mtn bike 21 speeds??? The cassetts, chains and chain rings use to last a lot longer than the 9 speed drivetran. We jumped to 8 then 9 and now there is talk of 10 speed rr. cassetts. What are the driving forces for this change?
For those with 9 speed cassetts, you end up throwing your rr. cassett away because 2 or 3 rings are worn out yet the rest are in perfect condition. You never wear down all gears evenly.

Is this evolution or capitalism? Can some one explain how much more enjoyment a 27speed is over a 21 speed or for that matter a 30 speed??? :rolleyes: I've converted to single speed two years ago , so 21 or even 15 speeds seems plenty to me.

gonzo
A poor speller, but correct, nonetheless. Shitmano could have stopped with the original XT 7 sp. thumbie group, back when the crank arms were cold forged, and other than losing the biopace, the world would have been fine with it.
interesting that your profile indicates that your riding career began the year 8 sp. was introduced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.