Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Is this the bike?
2010 TREK REMEDY 8 EVO MEDIUM - Pinkbike

That's a big dent.
Impossible to tell just by pics how bad it really is, but it is certainly substantial.
For the right price, I'd likely still buy the bike and ride it, but the price would have to be dirt cheap-less than the seller in the Pinkbike ad is asking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The person selling it said he has been riding the bike in this condition for two years. Do you think $900 would be a good price considering the size of the dent? I am not a very serious rider so I don't think I would put the frame to its limits but I don't want the frame to be in danger of breaking either.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Dents are weird.
They kill resale value and scare prospective buyers.
Many dents look horrible but don't really impact ride quality.
However, it's the unknown that you are gambling on.
I'd take the seller at his word that it hasn't been causing him any problems when riding.
However, he needs to be realistic about resale on a frame with a big dent.
If the bike has been maintained and the drive train is fresh + the suspension has been recently serviced + the brakes have been bled and have plenty of life in the pads + the wheels are true and dent free + the tires are good, then I think $1k is fair.
With a dent like that, I'd be surprised if he got anywhere near his asking price.
It's a 4 year old bike.
If the maintenance isn't up to date on suspension, drive train, brakes, and wheels, I'd subtract that from $1k.
You can find plenty of well maintained and dent free bikes for $1500.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
To me, that dent looks pretty dangerous. I can see it handling fire roads and non-technical trails, but I don't see it holding up to the rough trails. You can probably call Trek and see how much a new rear triangle would cost for that bike. It will probably be around $300-500 since its non-carbon. You might have luck on places like Ebay or Pinkbike as well but those are rare.

According to the Bicycle Blue Book

$1,681 (Like-New)
$1,601 (Excellent)
$1,441 (Good)
$1,072 (Fair)

If the rest of the bike is clean and the rear triangle in that condition, it would be in that good to fair range. If you can can get that complete bike for $900, then it would be a pretty good deal, but I would still replace that rear triangle. IMO, you can probably find pretty good bike for $1300-1500 that doesn't have issues like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I have decided to not risk it and get a different bike. Just in case you are curious, I am going to get a 2008 Specialized Pitch Pro. It is just about the only quality all-mountain bike I can find close to me for under $1500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts