Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this used bike decent? Is it worth $1,000?

This is a full suspension carbon fiber frame mountain bike. Its a medium size frame and Im 5"10 and it rides great for me.
Here is whats on it:
-Rock Shox Tora front suspension with lock out
-Fox float rear shock with lockout
-Sram X7 trigger shifter and derailer
-Avid front and rear disc brakes
-Shimano Deore LX crankset
-Easton handlebars
-2 brand new tires 29ers

·
Cycologist
7,898 Posts
What does it say on the top tube?

·
Cycologist
7,898 Posts
Well, it is a 15 year old full suspension bike. I don't know why it would have new 29er tires as it is a 26er. The specs I'm seeing say it should be full XTR so a lot of the parts have been replaced with lower end parts. Depending on the condition of everything, it might be decent (though dated) but I think that price is pretty high.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
No......it is not worth $1000.

·
Cycologist
7,898 Posts
Is this your first bike? For $1000, you could get something much better suited to you. I would be very wary of a carbon full suspension bike that old.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Agreed with above, that bike is too old to be paying that kind of $.
With $1000 you can get a very good 2015-2016 model bike in size large (maybe a 29er).

What kind of riding will you be doing with it mostly? Lots of drops/jumps? Just single track? Do you need full suspension? Are you climbing a lot or mostly pointed downhill?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
far too much for a bike that old and low price components

it only has 1000 value to the owner, but on retail, that is maybe 400 bucks MAX

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,295 Posts
As an example of brand new, right at your price point:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...e/roscoe-7/p/23444/?colorCode=greenvisibility

You'll have way more fun with this bike.
Now that's a solid recommendation. OP, that old FS Trek is waaaaaaaay overpriced at $1000 and even if you got it free, you'd never be able to change the frame geo to make it a truly fun ride. Modern frames are much more capable, confidence inspiring & fun, especially with 29" wheels and wider (2.5-2.8") tires like those on the Roscoe 7 that driver bob recommended.
=sParty

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I would be tempted to troll that seller and ask them how they fit 29er tires on a 26er bike.

unfortunately, old mountain bikes don't hold their value, especially FS bikes and carbon fiber stuff. there is no telling what shape the frame is in and if anything breaks, you won't find spare parts to fix it.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,156 Posts
So it's been stripped of all the good parts and they still want more than it's worth? That, with the fact it's not a 29er. Just say no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts