Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a new fork. My bike currently has an 80mm fork on it. I want an adjustable travel one that is affordable. Would the Rockshox Tora 318 coil u-turn '07 be a good choice? It is adjustable from 85-130mm.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
highdelll said:
ok...just so you know that u-turn Tora is not an air shock
there are tora 318 airs, but you loose the travel adjustment
Yeah, you will have to look for a SoloAir model of the tora 318, if you do want the air. The uturn probably isn't the best idea anyways, because it is very likely that your bike can't handle any more than a hundred mm of travel. What kind of bike is it?

You(or your local shop) would be able to adjust the travel(80/100/130) in the SoloAir model via spacers inside the fork leg. But, it will be set at that length until you open the fork back up again and change the spacer arrangement.

The Tora is a solid fork, I have a 2008 soloair and really like how it performs. If you have the extra money(like 100-150$) you could look into a Reba. Saw a great deal on one in the "Where are the best deals" forum....something like $339 with free shipping, which is a great deal on that particular fork. I am thinking about selling my tora and getting one of those.

Edit: link to reba http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=480500

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
just so you know that

if you use the 130mmTora to rip some DH/FR, the stress will be much greater than what Cdale designed the F5 frame to handle. Jim

from Cdale...
APPENDIX B
Maximum Fork Length (Mountain Bikes)
Maximum Fork Length is an important frame safety testing specification for front suspension mountain bikes.
You must observe the measurement when installing headset parts, headset adapters, installing and adjusting
a fork, and selecting replacement forks.
WARNING
YO U MUST SELECT A REPLA CEMENT FORK NOT ONLY BASED ON HEAD TUBE DIAMETE R BUT THE
CRITICAL FA CTO R OF FRAME MA XIMUM FORK LENGTH
DO NOT EXCEED MA XIMUM FORK LENGTH Exceeding the MAXIMUM FORK LENGTH limit can overload
the frame causing it to fail (break) while riding.
Your retailer MUST follow observe this specification for your bike. For Maximum Fork Length specifications
for Cannondale bicycles, see http://www.cannondale.com/tech_center/
YO U CAN BE SEVE RELY INJURED, PARALYZED OR KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT
IF YO U IGNORE THIS WARNING.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
yea i retract my previous statement about u turn being great on the fly lol, so many turns its almost painful, but its good to have the extra travel when you want it, (a gnarly ride or something more techy) but yet still have a shorter travel for smooth stuff and lots of uphill

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
spazzy said:
lol they should call it u-dont-turn on the trail
baaah.. it's not that bad...i just timed my self just out of curiosity...130 to85 in less than 5 seconds...same back up...not to bad.
But, I hardly use it. only if I know I'll be climbin' for a while. I use the lock-out way more often. I usually leave it at 130 (that's the low end for the geometry for my frame) I'm actually looking for something longer - maybe a lyric? anybody ride one?

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
the lyrik is good, but i don't think it's available in non-TA. the pike is a solid choice too, but it's only 10mm longer. i know how you feel, i've got the same problem.

oh, and i doubt you could do it in 5 seconds while riding.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
theextremist04 said:
the lyrik is good, but i don't think it's available in non-TA. the pike is a solid choice too, but it's only 10mm longer. i know how you feel, i've got the same problem.

oh, and i doubt you could do it in 5 seconds while riding.
excuse the temporary brain fart...'non-TA'?
*edit..does TA = Thru-Axle?
oh and yeah, no no adjusting it while riding:p
just sayin it wasn't as bad as it was getting made out to be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.