Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........cuz if it is, im doin it!

upping the travel on the stinky just by putting a longer stroke shock on without special plates

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Chikity China said:
........cuz if it is, im doin it!

upping the travel on the stinky just by putting a longer stroke shock on without special plates

why isn't 6" enough? (lol, that's what i get all the time, so jk)

oh, btw.... that is the most pimped out stink i have ever seen.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JBsoxB said:
why isn't 6" enough? (lol, that's what i get all the time, so jk)

oh, btw.... that is the most pimped out stink i have ever seen.... :eek:
im hearin ya

ppl say its gonna mess up the geometry but that doesnt look too effed up to me, just a bit higher bb

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
It can be done, remember that the only way you'll get a travel increase is by increasing the shock stroke, not just swapping for a longer i2i. Also, you'll want to check to see the sizes to make sure that they'll fit considering if you have too long of one the chainstay will clash into the bottom bracket shell and that wouldn't be good...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Chikity China said:
im hearin ya

ppl say its gonna mess up the geometry but that doesnt look too effed up to me, just a bit higher bb
could it put the shock in a weird position..

could it cause more stress on the shock? lol, instead of I it'll be < or (

lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
It can be done, remember that the only way you'll get a travel increase is by increasing the shock stroke, not just swapping for a longer i2i. Also, you'll want to check to see the sizes to make sure that they'll fit considering if you have too long of one the chainstay will clash into the bottom bracket shell and that wouldn't be good...
kona says that the frame was only designed for 6" and any more travel (with plates or not) will make the frame more suseptible to breaking due to stress? :confused:

is that a plate of bullsh!t?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Chikity China said:
kona says that the frame was only designed for 6" and any more travel (with plates or not) will make the frame more suseptible to breaking due to stress? :confused:

is that a plate of bullsh!t?
Probably depends on what you actually do to it.

In my opinion I'd just go with the plate upgrades, and you can just keept he same shock...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
COmtbiker12 said:

In my opinion I'd just go with the plate upgrades, and you can just keept he same shock...
i thought plate upgrades require a longer stroke shock. keepin the same stroke shock would mess up the leverage ratio

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:

ya, it depends on what you do with it...

but imo i'd just go with the shock you got and see if it breaks.... if it does, get a diff frame cus you already got nice components... :cool:

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Chikity China said:
i thought plate upgrades require a longer stroke shock. keepin the same stroke shock would mess up the leverage ratio
Nah. Check out the dangerboy links. It just says you might need a different spring.

http://dangerboyusa.com/misc.php

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Nah. Check out the dangerboy links. It just says you might need a different spring.

http://dangerboyusa.com/misc.php
hmmmm, dual 24 arrow dh wheels, hadley hubs, dangerboy plates, avy shock, mobster tires, shiver with integrated stem, bmw dh saddle, holzefeller cranks, flatboy pedals, x.0 derailer, e 13 chainguide, and new paint job to completely pimp out my stinky.......................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. im dreamin :(

but i do like the idea of dual 24s and those plates to get the 7.75 in of travel :D :cool:

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Chikity China said:
hmmmm, dual 24 arrow dh wheels, hadley hubs, dangerboy plates, avy shock, mobster tires, shiver with integrated stem, bmw dh saddle, holzefeller cranks, flatboy pedals, x.0 derailer, e 13 chainguide, and new paint job to completely pimp out my stinky.......................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. im dreamin :(

but i do like the idea of dual 24s and those plates to get the 7.75 in of travel :D :cool:
Well if you went used it's certainly be achievable. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Go for it

If I remember correct U have a 7,875/2 shock in there stock , and a 1-3 ratio.
Try removing shock and measure Max I-I , Im pretty sure U can get a 8/2,25 shock in there for 6,75" rear travel .
One thing to watch out for is if rear wheel will ctc seattube/post under max compression as rear wheel will get closer to seattube/post becuz U are increasing stroke more than I-I.
So measure before U buy new shock.
Let us know how it turns out.
Cheers

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
What about scoring a set of 05 Stinky replacment plates? You would get 7 inches of travel and the plates strait from Kona are like $100. Its a whole lot cheaper than the danderboy or BETD plates and would acomplish preaty much the same thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It can be done if you want your freeride bike to have the geometry of a XC race bike, I have a buddy who did the same thing your talking about. His bike is super plush but has a BB height that is staight supid. He loves it, i think it sucks.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thanks all but im still hesitant

my bud with the shiver is offering me hes super t and vanilla rc from his rm7 if i get him a dhx 5.0

ill be like zedro "quality over quantity" ;)

edit: isnt a stinkys normal shock eye to eye 7.875 and rm7 7.5? with shorter stroke as well?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
the straight poop:

the best way to increase ones travel is to use a longer stroke shock if you can; this is because that doesnt change the leverage ratio and therefore doesnt alter the stresses into the frame (however riding harder will).

You must take care to put the proper size in, otherwise you'll have stuff hitting frame bits that shouldnt be.

Using modified plates is done because it lets people use the same shock and lets you maximise (or better spec) your travel because you arent limited by available shock sizes. However some plates offer an improvement, and some decrease the quality of the suspension.

Only 1999-2000 models and later 7" models could be tweeked upto 8" using 24" wheels; this is only recommended with longer shocks mated to new plates.

A few samples of my work: 1st pic, my 2000 StinkyD at 8" with a 8.75/2.75 shock, 2nd the "original" Stinky Supreme (formely a Primo) with 2.75" Avy shock at 7" travel, 3rd pic a 2000 (special edition?) Stinky with a stock 2.0" stroke shock at 6.5"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.