Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks in advance...
RD is a Deore 8sp, it was shifting nice and smooth before. After installing the new cable and housing, it was only shifting from 2-8 smooth. But Not going into the smallest cog. i'll click the shifter but wouldn't click for the smallest cog.
So I added tension at the cable stop, barrell adjust and played with the H L screw. Then it suddenly shifted into the smallest (1st cog). but now the prob is that it skips the second on upshift, it goes from 1st to 3rd immediatel. On downshift, it will lag and sit on the 2nd cog but then will drop to smallest cog in about a rev or two.

Any suggestions.
B screw?
remove cable completely and adjust H L screw then insert cable?
Maybe i accidentally hit the shifter when installing the cable chain?
When barrell should i be tension if it is indeed a tension problem?

thanks to all ..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
When putting in a new cable, make sure you're in the smallest cog position on the shifter. Check the derailleur is sitting directly below the small cog and then attach the cable with some tension, but not pulling it with massive tension. Then click up a gear. You'll see quickly whether it will click up to the 2nd cog smoothly, or if it fails to shift far enough.
Your method in the OP was incorrect. If you want to get the chain to move to a cog with less teeth, you reduce tension, not add it. Adding tension on the rear gets you further toward shifting to a larger cog, or a lower gear ratio.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When putting in a new cable, make sure you're in the smallest cog position on the shifter. Check the derailleur is sitting directly below the small cog and then attach the cable with some tension, but not pulling it with massive tension. Then click up a gear. You'll see quickly whether it will click up to the 2nd cog smoothly, or if it fails to shift far enough.
Your method in the OP was incorrect. If you want to get the chain to move to a cog with less teeth, you reduce tension, not add it. Adding tension on the rear gets you further toward shifting to a larger cog, or a lower gear ratio.
thanks guys for the input. That's prob why it was skipping 2nd gear from 1st and 3rd, too much tension correct? also i dont think i recall double checking the position of the der below smallest cog then tightening.. Thanks.:thumbsup: What a noobie mistake....I'll give this a go tomorrow when I get back.
Should the shifter barrel be turn all the way in or should it be backed out a turn or two prior to tightening the cable bolt?

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hay ALex, thanks man. Took out the cable loosen all tension and did as you said, and all is well.

Thanks again for your help.
Happy trails....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts