Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.

My friend doesn't own a mtn bike, however he is going to buy one. He is unexperienced in the area (AKA n00b) of mtn biking, yet he is going to fork out $1500AU on a (second hand) 2004 Giant AC 1 here. I was talking to him on the phone before (about 10 mins ago) about how he is unexperienced in mtn biking, and i advised him about getting a beginner's mtn bike but to avail.

Do you think this is a smart decission for my friend to make? (i didnt think so)
Any comments?

thanks

Boris :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Yes

As long as the bike fits him and is in good condition for the price, what's wrong with a nice bike to start on?

He'll feel better about itbecause it's the bike he want, he won't be fighting the limitations of the equipment and if he likes mountain biking he'll be set for a while.

If he doesn't like it, he'll have a better chance of getting most of his money back rather than trying to sell off a used low-end bike.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
whoa

1) the bike's got to fit right, or it's no good regardless if it's a deal or not.

2) refer to #1.

Jim
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Cerberus is dead on

Cerberus said:
As long as the bike fits him and is in good condition for the price, what's wrong with a nice bike to start on?

He'll feel better about it because it's the bike he want, he won't be fighting the limitations of the equipment and if he likes mountain biking he'll be set for a while.

If he doesn't like it, he'll have a better chance of getting most of his money back rather than trying to sell off a used low-end bike.
The down side of buying a beginners bike is the cost assiciated with constantly upgrading as you improve your skills. If he buys a good quality bike to begin with, he will have a better chance of honing his skills quicker, and enjoy the sport even more. If he doesn't like it, he sells the bike at a loss, but that's a given with any bike. Unless the person is strapping themselves financially in making the purchase, I say go for it.

Just my 2 cents

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimC. said:
1) the bike's got to fit right, or it's no good regardless if it's a deal or not.

2) refer to #1.

Jim
I'm not even sure he knows how to fit himself properly to a bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Fit himself?

borry said:
I'm not even sure he knows how to fit himself properly to a bike!
Perhaps he need not fit himself.

If you, my friend, are experienced enough to pin your friend as a "noob", then you should be able to a) check his fit yourself or b) get him pointed to a shop that can fit him.

He should be able to get on the bike, unless it's an eBay thing, and even then he should be able to get some fit advice from a Giant dealer.

As to the other posts on the Giant's frame problems, I don't know about that. I understood the question to be whether a noob should buy a good first bike or a crappy first bike, and I responded accordingly.

I hope you can get your friend started off well, and you'll then have a riding buddy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Cerberus said:
Perhaps he need not fit himself.

If you, my friend, are experienced enough to pin your friend as a "noob", then you should be able to a) check his fit yourself or b) get him pointed to a shop that can fit him...
Seems like the blind leading the blind: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=153038
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Darwin was right?

borry said:
what do you mean by that? ( not sounding to be rude)

I know that i am a n00b too ( if thats what you mean), but i am clarifying that my friend has basically no experience in mtn biking ( in other words less than me).

sorry if i was unclear
Help me with this.

You and your friend, who have little or no experience with mountain bikes or freeride tricks, stunts, etc. are going to buy some bikes and go to Canada and throw yourselves down a mountain? Or are you the only one making the trip?

Please tell me there is something left out of your other posts that we may be missing. I don't want to think we are seeing natural selection in process...
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
uh, well

as per your other post 3 days back:

"Since i am a beginner (AKA, not very good at anything ), i will practice a lot and hope to learn some tips from you guys/girls...

So how is it you are going to help your buddy, who knows even less than you?

If you're dropping in to "Canada", its a big place. West coast has lots of used bikes and new as well at very competitive prices.

The total area of Canada is 9 984 670 square kilometres. Of this, 9 093 507 square kilometres is land and 891 163 square kilometres is fresh water. Canada's area is the second largest in the world (after Russia which has a total area of 17 075 000 square kilometres). On Canadian territory, the longest distance North to South (on land) is 4 634 kilometres from Cape Columbia on Ellesmere Island (photo of Ellesmere Island), Nunavut to Middle Island in Lake Erie, Ontario. The longest distance East to West is 5 514 kilometres from Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador (photo of Cape Spear), to the Yukon Territory - Alaska boundary (photo of boundary).

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JimC. said:
as per your other post 3 days back:

"Since i am a beginner (AKA, not very good at anything ), i will practice a lot and hope to learn some tips from you guys/girls...

So how is it you are going to help your buddy, who knows even less than you?

If you're dropping in to "Canada", its a big place. West coast has lots of used bikes and new as well at very competitive prices.

The total area of Canada is 9 984 670 square kilometres. Of this, 9 093 507 square kilometres is land and 891 163 square kilometres is fresh water. Canada's area is the second largest in the world (after Russia which has a total area of 17 075 000 square kilometres). On Canadian territory, the longest distance North to South (on land) is 4 634 kilometres from Cape Columbia on Ellesmere Island (photo of Ellesmere Island), Nunavut to Middle Island in Lake Erie, Ontario. The longest distance East to West is 5 514 kilometres from Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador (photo of Cape Spear), to the Yukon Territory - Alaska boundary (photo of boundary).

Jim
sorry, i dont think i understand you...

I am going to BC, Canada! more specifically Vancouver Island.

sorry for any misunderstandings, i will be more clear i the future :)
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
nope very bad decision....that guy shoud get a bike in the 600 to 800 level
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
nope very bad decision....that guy shoud get a bike in the 600 to 800 level
thanks mate. Thats what i was hoping to convince him to do, but he is still saving for the bike, so we'll see. He also needs to see if it fits him. He's only going by word of mouth, he hasn't even laid a finger on the bike yet!

I guess it is his choice, his money and his time so... IMO

thanks again :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top