Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, yesterday I purchased a hardtail 27.5 XTC frame from an authorized Giant shop using my Master. This is my first MTB and I ended up spending $800. That was my decision after 2 months of homework and asking for advices. But within that price range, am I doing well ? In my area, there'r only 2 authorized brand: Giant, Cannondale. The ride is sweet and fun. The question here is : is it too much for an entry ?
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle fork

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Nothing wrong with Giant bikes, as a whole. Also, that's a pretty good investment for a first bike. The XTC can be upgraded to a full blown race machine. It should serve you well. Personally, I usually advise people to spend more money on the first bike rather than less. It keeps you from having to buy a whole new bike when you realize you've exceeded what your bike is capable of, and the cheap one you bought simply isn't worth upgrading. You shouldn't have that problem.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Hi all, yesterday I purchased a hardtail 27.5 XTC frame from an authorized Giant shop using my Master. This is my first MTB and I ended up spending $800. That was my decision after 2 months of homework and asking for advices. But within that price range, am I doing well ? In my area, there'r only 2 authorized brand: Giant, Cannondale. The ride is sweet and fun. The question here is : is it too much for an entry ?
View attachment 888283
Too much for frame. Unless composite....

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Welcome! (first post)

I don't know the exact bike, but am sure can't go very wrong if at all when you have a versatile bike from a leading maker. This is a competitive market that's rather mature now so most products are generally good. Brand loyalty and tribal behavior can get people saying something's no good so consider that if someone puts it down.

Enjoy it in good health!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
That was my decision after 2 months of homework. The ride is sweet and fun. View attachment 888283
You did your homework based on availability in your area, the ride is sweet and fun. Go ride it, enjoy it, when you break it come on back and ask us what you should buy.

I am not AM elitist, I don't own an am frame and there are no mountains in MN. I have broken something on every bike I've ridden which is the nature of mtn biking. It appears to me that OP didn't buy on a whim and is having sweet fun with his choice. IMO I don't understand the question, why 2nd guess yourself when you are having sweet fun? Go ride it, have more sweet fun, done.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
You're going to hear a lot of opinions from the "If It doesn't have 6+ inches of travel it's a road bike" crowd. Seems like no one wants to admit that the best riders in the world are on Hardtails.

But did you do well? I'd say hell yeah you did. Giant makes a great bike, and the XTC is a classic. Good updated geometry, durable alloy frame, good mid-range components. For your first bike, you can't really go wrong.

Ride the snot out of it and have fun with it. :thumbsup:

View attachment 888283

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can never go wrong with a Giant. Great value bikes and the component spec is always good for the money. Sensible selection of gearing and the new deore on the bike pictured is actually a great component set with lots of trickle down technology. Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.