Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-post from PhotographyReview.com

Is this a ridiculous way to carry gear?
Finally took the plunge today and bought a Canon Digital Rebel XSi. I realized why people can buy TV's at Best Buy, but not cameras. I went there and Circuit City and although they had great financing, the people working there were totally useless, and didn't know anything about cameras in general.

Ended up going to Ritz where the guy there spent almost an hour with me discussing different models, my wants and likes. I got a good deal with the kit lens, and the 75-300 zoom lens for $50 more. That should get me started until I get enough into it and realize I want better lenses

Anyway, I bought a little backpack for it too to take around with me. I also mountain bike as well and may get the nerve to take this camera along with me. Usually I use a CamelBak when I ride. The camera obviously wouldn't fit in there safely.

Is putting this backpack INSIDE this bigger Kelty pack ridiculous? The Kelty has a pouch for a reservoir of water, but the pack is awfully big. Again, this wouldn't be TOO often that I would take it with me, but occasionally. The camera will serve other functions more often than biking.

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I've thought of taking my digital SLR with me on rides but haven't found a good (safe) way of taking it. I'm afraid if I crash, I'll be out the $$ and injured.
As a result I usually end up taking the little point and shoot.
I knwo they make camera specific backpacks that have a lot of padding, you might look into that.

· The Martian
1,198 Posts
I throw my Nikon D80 in my camelbak our around my shoulder (nice strap) and go. I'd like to get a more secure strap so I can have it out but it won't move around much. Seems like you wouldn't use your camera much if it's inside a bag inside a bag. The beauty of a no fault no questions asked replacement policy from Wolf; It only costs me 3 weeks or so if I destroy my camera :)

I only use my camera specific backpack for storage and camera specific, non-strenuous, non-biking, non-hiking trips. It's designed great from a camera standpoint but is crap from an actually carrying it standpoint. I suspect there are better bags of course.

Still if I expect I won't take many or any pictures and want to focus on biking I take the small point-and-shoot; there's something to be said for weight and portability.

· MTBR Member
3,139 Posts
I just got a D80 and have the same dilemma. I don't think it will make it to the trail all that often, but I get some of my best shots when I'm out on my bike. I think I will just use the backpack for my camelbak knockoff. I hardly ever use the reservoir, so I think I will just use some towels or something as padding. I definitely won't be hitting any unfamiliar trails with it.

· Legend
1,287 Posts
I cannot see the image for whatever reason, so I can't comment on how bad the person's setup is.

However, I personally have my DSLR in a bag that sits on my chest. When I fall, I "NEVER" hit my chest; I thought it was a pretty good idea. Also, it seems my back does most of my heat radiating, the bag on my chest doesn't make me sweat too much more.

My bag is like this one:
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Topload-Zoom-2,2052,8.htm

Image 3 sortof shows the harness I have for it that allows it to be used as a backpack (or, in my case, a "front pack". I only have room for the camera body with lens, and small accessories like filters, small tripod, memory cards, cleaning solution and tools, etc.

· mtbr dismember
6,989 Posts
Better method

If you pack it away like that you are less likely to use it. I have a holster type bag that the camera with lens fits very snugly. I wear it around my waist like a fanny pack, with it at the small of my back. While riding you don't even notice it. To take a photo just stop, swivel it around to the front, take out the camera and snap the photo(s), then put it back in the case and swivel it back behind you. Unless doing some special photography just one good wide angle to short telephoto is plenty. I use the Canon 17 - 85 mm.

· Legend
1,287 Posts
Wherewolf said:
If you pack it away like that you are less likely to use it. I have a holster type bag that the camera with lens fits very snugly. I wear it around my waist like a fanny pack, with it at the small of my back. While riding you don't even notice it. To take a photo just stop, swivel it around to the front, take out the camera and snap the photo(s), then put it back in the case and swivel it back behind you. Unless doing some special photography just one good wide angle to short telephoto is plenty. I use the Canon 17 - 85 mm.
That's basically my setup; works well (except I don't spin it around, but the top-access is key).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.