Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the market for a street bike since I am getting sick of fixing my downhill bike every week. I was planning on doing a build until my buddy put his dk General Lee 24" Street. He works at a bike shop and is just as in to performance as I am. The only thing I am having issues is the cantilever brakes, I keep looping out. But anyways it was rigid, but I decided to throw a gold label on there. Anyways here is the spec list for $400 (not including the gold label which was warranty).

dk General Lee 24"
Chris King Headset
Thomson Post
Coalition Seat
Fly Brakes
Profile Evolution BB w/ ceramic bearings and ti spidle
Profile 175mm Arms
Odessy Hazard Rear Hub
Animal 25 tooth sproket
3/16 KMC Motorcycle Chain
Silver Rhynolites
Distortion Pedals w/ ti spindles

I though this was a killer deal.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
as many people on here will tell you, dk gl's are solid bikes, great for urban, park, or whatever else you may be into. post up some pics

edit:

isnt the msrp on those things like 230$? and used with a couple of upgrades you got it for 4...you may have been ripped but im not sure of the value or condition of the other parts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike was mechanic owned and all the parts are in near mint condition. The only reason he bought the General was because there are not that many 24" bikes out there and it was cheaper to by the bikes and strip the bike of all components. Like I said he works at a shop so the bike was alot cheaper than msrp. Here are some of the prices:

Chris King Headset 130
Thomson Post 70
Fly Brakes 85
Profile Evolution BB w/ ceramic bearings and ti spidle and arms 470
Animal 25 tooth sproket 45
Distortion Pedals w/ ti spindles 120

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
You got a good deal if those parts are in any kind of servicable shape... Lots of nice goodies there that will last you a long time. You would spend more than $400 replacing the headset and cranks.... How does it ride with the huge-azz fork on it? :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics will be up this after noon and the gold label is already on and the head angle is 68 which is right where i like it. As for headtube durability it has already been calculated. I am an mechanical engr major and have all ready done the stress anaylysis of it by running it through a program. I would need to do a 12 foot to flat to screw up the headtube in any way.

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal. Im spending close to $200 just to have a oddesey hub laced to a sun bfr so there is over 400 into mine already just by replacing the rear wheel. I know that a suspension fork sounds like a good idea, I thought it was at one point but why would you want to take such a solid tight bike and slop it up and rake it out with a suspension fork. Ride the rigid b4 you put the fork on it. You will realize that its a dumb idea. The bike is muckin awesome rigid, the way its supposed to be.

·
Rollin' twenties.
1,635 Posts
horse_of_iron said:
Pics will be up this after noon and the gold label is already on and the head angle is 68 which is right where i like it. As for headtube durability it has already been calculated. I am an mechanical engr major and have all ready done the stress anaylysis of it by running it through a program. I would need to do a 12 foot to flat to screw up the headtube in any way.
well im a bike rider and think suspension on that bike is a stupid idea.
dont listnen to stress analyzers, they dont ride bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here are the pictures. As for some of you skeptics I like my wrists and cannot afford to be out of work. As for some of your concerns of slack head angle I like a slack HA. My other bike is a Sunday World Cup with a HA of 64.5 so I like it slack. And for the guy you said not to listen to the stress analysis I trust my engineering abilities and it is quite simply to input this data into the program. But anyways I do not care it is my bike not yours.
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle fork Rim

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycle part

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle accessory Bicycle fork

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
horse_of_iron said:
Well here are the pictures. As for some of you skeptics I like my wrists and cannot afford to be out of work. As for some of your concerns of slack head angle I like a slack HA. My other bike is a Sunday World Cup with a HA of 64.5 so I like it slack. And for the guy you said not to listen to the stress analysis I trust my engineering abilities and it is quite simply to input this data into the program. But anyways I do not care it is my bike not yours.
View attachment 231000

View attachment 231001

View attachment 231002

View attachment 231003

View attachment 231004
I think that bike is taller than me.

good deal though, based just on your parts list. But hopefully your studies as an engineering major will teach you that the head angle on your Sunday has NOTHING to do with your GL... :skep:

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Fvck that is a tall bike dude. How do you expect to do any kind of tricks on that with a seat that high?

·
Registered
493 Posts
wow, that is huge.... maybe like a "tuned" fork or what ever so u could get down to like 50mm travel??? i dunno, how does it feel when u ride. Also, prob should lower that seat unless your just riding around town from place to place and not using for what its meant ...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.