Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The guy that sold me my bike (and who is a friend) is getting new wheels, and would sell his current ones, DT Swiss XR 4.1 with XT hubs, for $150. Is this a good deal, or should I spend the $$$ to get new wheels (if I did, I'd drop a lot more coin on some BWW hubs laced to something...)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
laxman2001 said:
The guy that sold me my bike (and who is a friend) is getting new wheels, and would sell his current ones, DT Swiss XR 4.1 with XT hubs, for $150.
I did a quick price check at Universal Cycles. They don't always have the best prices, but they're not too far out of line.

The XR 4.1 rims alone could cost you $150. The XT hubs go for around $110 (or more depending upon which ones you get - I picked the least expensive ones). Figure in spokes/nipples at $0.50 a piece (which would be a heck of a deal if you could get it) times 64 spokes is $32. (If they're decent spokes, they might be more than $1.00 per spoke.) Total, not counting labor, is $292.

So, yeah, $150 for that pair of wheels could be a pretty good deal depending on age and wear. In any case, I don't think your friend is taking advantage of you.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only worry is that he races and isn't exactly light (I think like 230)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts