Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a good bike to learn to dirt jump on. I recently found a good place and got permission to build some jumps(which probably wont get started till spring) and I ran across this bike in the shop the other day. Also my towns putting in a skate park and I would like somthing better than my full susp. to ride in it, but just for fun the real focus is the DJ's.
so would this be a good deal for $275?
GT chucker 3.0 Chromoly frame
Rst capa cl fork (crappy i think)
old Xt shifter
acera rear derailer(i know its a cheapo)
tektro mech. disk brakes
equation comp 559 rims( look nice)
forgot to look at the hubs
the crankset has no writing on it cant tell the brand(see pics)
btw I bought my old hardtail there and could probably trade it in for at least a hundred bucks, which would make it 175or less!

Attachments

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
looks very similar to an xc bike, size wise anyway...

and, what is with the "chromo main tube" sticker in the last pic??? what is this "main tube" and what are all the others made out of then???

all that said, you won't find much else in that price range... and if you're just getting into it, I'm sure you could have fun on it of course.
Can you get it in a smaller size so you can lower that seat more and get some clearance on the toptube?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
jimage said:
all gt jump bikes are CRAP!! stay way clear go for a dmr or a kona
do not say that :nono: the GT bikes can REALLY hold their own. my buddy got a ruckus UF, that bike completly owns.

but to the OP, I'd look elsewhare, by the components and frame, that bike really wasnt designed for any type of abuse. it looks like your LBS carries GT then, so maybe look into some GT bikes ?

also how much are you willing to spend on a bike ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
for that price I got a trek bruiser with saint cranks, 2003 DJ2, MX-2's, cane creek levers, primo pedals, funn stem, and a bunch of other higher to mid range components.

I would not buy that for 275. Maybe for 75.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought It might be crap but I wanted to check because it was pretty cheap. It was in the used section at the lbs and they sometimes have good deals and I could probably trade my old bike in to them for more than I could sell it elsewhere. I will probably just buy a frame off the internet and gradually build it up. I know you can get khsDj frames really cheap. then Again I might just build the jumps and ride them on my Tr. Preston and see if I really love it.(cant see how I wouldent) at which point I would have enough money to buy a Transition TorP, which would be Ideal.
to sum it up I just didn't want a deal to slip through my hands with the GT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.