Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget of $1000

So I talked to the owner and he has the bike setup how I want it. There are a lot
of scratches which i don't care about. He is getting spoke repaired this week which he gave me the number of the bike shop he is going to for the repair so I can get a 2nd opinion on the bike before I purchase.

Giant Reign-med/Push'd fork

What you guys think of the deal? Components? Is it worth it or should I wait for better deal? I am breaking the budget by 30 bucks to pay for shipping... but anyway. I don't want to make a dumb purchasing decision if i can help it.

·
Quiet Professional
562 Posts
Seems a bit old for the price, but will let others chime in. I paid 1500.00 for my 2011 giant reign 2 brand new a few months back. You might want to save up a bit and buy a newer bike. Also check out pinkbike classifieds.

·
Registered
426 Posts
A lot of guys are going 29 without opening that can further, just saying. I have 26 myself for various reasons, one lower budget.

Love the inner tube mud-guard! Genius!

its worth as much as people will pay for it. Parts alone he could probably (guessing) get about that or more, I got a Trance X frame/shock for about $350 but had to buy all the other stuff. Looks like he rides a lot, so expect to replace chain related rings/gears/chain. You may not have to, but its unknown so add that into calcs and it can add up with cost of rings and gear cluster.

Its not probably really high, not low, but about in middle not knowing all the build components.

I will say if you look nationally you can find nearly fresh bikes from poseurs who buy bike and let them sit the garage.

Also I love the Giant rear suspension, but it has been known to develop creaking and the bushings need replacing to work well after a while, I had to do that for the upper shock mount. That is cost and time to repair too.

I'd offer 850 and see if he bites if you are serious. my 2 cents.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
Seems a bit old for the price, but will let others chime in. I paid 1500.00 for my 2011 giant reign 2 brand new a few months back. You might want to save up a bit and buy a newer bike. Also check out pinkbike classifieds.
Chef is spot on, spend the extra 500 bucks and get a new model thats been on the floor for a year, after you have got new brakes, bearings, gears on your 2006 model you will be at 1500 anyway, imo you would be mad to spend 1k on a 06 model.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's actually a 2005 frame. The 2006 frames had a different piercing of the down tube. Because of how the rear shock fits in the frame, there are limitations on changing the rear shock, basically you can't.

A lot of the parts on that bike look well used.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems a little high to me, but.... if it's set up just the way you'd want it, and if there are no expensive, imminent maintenance issues, and everything works properly, then you'll probably be happy. It's false economy to get a "great" deal on a bike (new or used) only to soon be spending money on upgrades and replacement of expensive wear items. Bicycle parts are very expensive, so it's best to buy a bike that comes set up the way you want.

That said, I'd probably show up with cash in hand and look for every negative I could find. Then offer him less. I doubt he's fielding dozens of serious calls.

AM.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That is a great deal on a Reign if its well equipped. I built my Trance X and ended up spending about 1700 on my "budget build" but sprung for new stans wheels, xt crank, tubeless tires and all that stuff. I also found out my well used frame had slightly ovalized head tube and blown headset, worn linkage bushings, so it was more hassle and cost that I envisioned, and its still creaking think I will get that roller bearing setup.

Anyway, since the frame is the building block and its pretty out of date (I was not expert on this model) the asking price is pretty strong. True he has upgraded parts a lot but also looks like he rode the crap out of it (nothing wrong with doing that, but don't expect top dollar selling it).

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts