Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my shock to something more modern. I have a 2013 RM Instinct 970. I sent an email to the bike maker and they said that any 7.5"x2.0" rear shock would work.

The guy at my LBS (non-dealer) seemed skeptical about putting on a new shock. He said that rear shocks are specially matched and dampened as OEM equipment. I mentioned that I could optimize the tuning with a ShockWiz but he seemed to have a different concept in mind. So what are your thoughts about mounting the following shock to my bike?

RockShox Monarch RT3 Rear shock 190x51/7.5''x2.0'' MidReb/MidComp 320 Lockout D1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V8S8VF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tlmrDbD7SW7JN

It seems decent enough. I think RS has gone metric with their latest models so I think my rear shock upgrade options are somewhat limited at this point.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Current shock is dated which makes the bike look more dated. I have RS front suspension so wanted to pair it with RS rear suspension. As long as the quality is at least slightly better then I'll be happy

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think RS has gone metric with their latest models so I think my rear shock upgrade options are somewhat limited at this point.
Deluxe is metric, Monarch isn't metric. They're still making both.

Current shock is dated which makes the bike look more dated. I have RS front suspension so wanted to pair it with RS rear suspension. As long as the quality is at least slightly better then I'll be happy
You want an aesthetic upgrade, not a functional one? The 2014 and onwards Monarch has the black damper body. The negative air spring is also bigger, even on shocks without the Debonair sleeve. The one you linked will be better but probably not a night and day difference.

·
Turns right, slides left
740 Posts
Your LBS guy is correct that the tune of the shock needs to work with the leverage ratio of your frame. That Monarch might be ok, or it might be terrible with your frame. Does your current shock have the Fox tune code on it? If so, decode it on Fox's website and see if the Monarch's tune is a good match. If you don't have the Fox code, I'm sure RM would be happy to provide that info.

Or, you could save some money and hassle by getting a Manitou McLeod.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I have swapped out many shocks a lot w/ different tunes (aftermarket & OE). I would say certain suspension designs are more sensitive to shock tunes. Unless the frame was spec'd w/ a very light tune you can use a variety of shock tunes. Even though the manufacture may spec a shock w/ a specific tune that doesn't mean it will be a perfect fit for your riding style or terrain. Personally, I really like the RT3 for XC/ trail use. The Mecleod has a lot of rave reviews but I am not sold on the negative air spring type.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the info printed around the bottom edge of my current Fox Float rear shock:

* rebound tune = medium
* velocity tune = large
* boost valve tune = 250

This Monarch is for sale on jensonusa.com so it probably represents the current model:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-...MIuOqt6OHq4wIV3__jBx3DtQXnEAkYASABEgJrBfD_BwE

However, the dropdown on this product page appears to have a lot of weird sizing options so I'm not sure how to translate whether or not any of these options will work with my bike.

If the Monarch RT3 seems like a reasonable replacement based on my current Fox tune specs above then I would really appreciate it if someone here could point me to a good place to buy a Monarch RT3 online, preferably the latest compatible model.

Also, can anyone here point me to a good vendor for aftermarket RS rear shock blackout decals like this?:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eofwpvdnof3pj9p/RS4512_dbed7850-c8bc-4b68-a094-cabd103f8105_x1024.jpg?dl=0

·
Underskilled
4,831 Posts
Shocks can be very frame specific.

Tuning with shockwiz only works if you have an adjustable shock.

Mcleod is internally tunable if you are technically minded or the cane creek shocks are externally tunable.
I'm guessing it means compression tune low, rebound medium.

To me the monarch has always been a lousy shock, however my standards are high.

If I were you I would get a cane creek, the jump in performance should be noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.