Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Is there any chance that's just a crack in the paint? Where the chainstay meets bottom bracket on a Gary Fisher RIG. If there's no chance it's superficial, I assume I should immediately stop riding? Ideas for repair or am I just gonna have to buy a new frame?

Attachments

·
Professional Nerd
255 Posts
If the frame is really something special, you could potentially find someone that can/will attempt to repair it. I agree that it is probably not worth it - i.e. a used similar frame is probably cheaper.

I have a steel frame known for cracking that is no longer made - and dammit - I WILL be repairing it if it ever cracks. So maybe it depends on the value of the frame to you…

Dan

·
furker
493 Posts
I would stop riding that bike. The original crack along the weld line has already opened up, and a secondary stress crack has formed extending at an angle from the weld to the bottom of the tube. That whole section of tube is already fatigued from flexing repeatedly.

Too late to re-weld along the crack line. It would be welding fatigued metal to other fatigued metal. The correct fix would be to strip the paint, cut out the entire chainstay, grind the ends smooth, and fabricate a new chainstay to weld in. Then heat treat and repaint.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it used? If you are the original owner Trek may provide a replacement frame if you are covered under their warranty.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Steel and Ti are weldable with pretty good results. That frame looks like alloy. Unless you find someone who can weld AND heat treat the whole frame, you're not going to have a good outcome. Even then, I'd bet it still wouldn't last long. hang it on the wall and take the opportunity to try something new :)

Reactions: ctxcrossx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would stop riding that bike. The original crack along the weld line has already opened up, and a secondary stress crack has formed extending at an angle from the weld to the bottom of the tube. That whole section of tube is already fatigued from flexing repeatedly.

Too late to re-weld along the crack line. It would be welding fatigued metal to other fatigued metal. The correct fix would be to strip the paint, cut out the entire chainstay, grind the ends smooth, and fabricate a new chainstay to weld in. Then heat treat and repaint.

Are you the original owner or did you buy it used? If you are the original owner Trek may provide a replacement frame if you are covered under their warranty.
Not the original owner and the frame is probably 15 years old.

Guess I have to figure out if I'm gonna sell the good parts off and buy something different or buy another SS 29er frame and swap parts on...

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,977 Posts
oh it's repairable alright...chainstay replacement, heat treat twice, repaint. about 500 bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts