Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting up my brand new bike with a SCOTT scale 710 carbon frame. Right before I was almost finished, I noticed this very long, streak-like line almost right in the middle of the top tube: (these a "SCALE" decal on it. The mark starts before "S" and ends b/w "A" and "L"):

This is viewing from some angle:

This is just horrifying. At first I thought it was just some oil mark but I couldn't scrape it off at all. And it is so straight and parrellel to the tube, making me think it might be from the unidirectional carbon fiber. It's more than 10" long!

I've been looking at lots of carbon fiber crack pictures today and didn't find anything like this. They are usually thin, zigzag, and short.

I tested with coin and spoon tapping. Well, there is a gradual change from the middle to the joints, which is the case for all tubes on this frame. And because it's basically extending half length of the top tube, I can't really say if the change comes from this mark or it's just natural.

I can't feel anything when touching it with the finger. No bulge, crease or dip of any kind. You can hardly tell it if viewing from a large angle , as in this picture. So there is no physical crack on the outer surface I guess?

Could it be a crack on the inner surface which hasn't yet extends to the outer surface, but can already been seen through the outer layer? And I don't really know about this matte finish. Is it the paint layer so transparent that you can see thru it?

This is driving me crazy. I know there are places you can get it repaired at a fair price. But cracking a frame when everything is so fresh and shiny? The tire on it is cleaner than my tabletop and the drivetrain is so clean I don't even wanna lube it to ruin the cleanliness

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was putting up my brand new bike with a SCOTT scale 710 carbon frame. Right before I was almost finished, I noticed this very long, streak-like line almost right in the middle of the top tube: (these a "SCALE" decal on it. The mark starts before "S" and ends b/w "A" and "L"):
How does it sound when you tap on it? Take a coin and tap repeatedly on the carbon, all around it. If it's cracked, when you tap on the crack, instead of a "ping", "ping", "ping", it'll go "DUNK"! If you don't know or can't decide, take it to your LBS.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,819 Posts
I was expecting to see a picture of a Yeti. :prft:

Op, that's just a seam, should be fine. Tapping with a coin will tell the story.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
If you bought your frame from your LBS, go check out some frames in the shop. Since it's new, and if you did not support your LBS, set your suspension up firm, and go hit some jumps, 3'-5' tabletops, and case the jumps. You will learn a few valuable lessons. And if the frame fails, you can get a new one under warranty.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Agreed not a crack, just a seam from joining the last layer of carbon. Have the same thing on my bike.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,207 Posts
If you bought your frame from your LBS, go check out some frames in the shop. Since it's new, and if you did not support your LBS, set your suspension up firm, and go hit some jumps, 3'-5' tabletops, and case the jumps. You will learn a few valuable lessons. And if the frame fails, you can get a new one under warranty.
Did someone poop on your corn flakes today?

Finger Tooth Red Animation Fictional character
[HR][/HR]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.