Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s not huge, maybe an inch, but not in a great spot, lower seat tube. Don’t see how it could be anything but a stress fracture, a rock chip from the tire would have damaged paint more. Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
another dead Yeti.

this is a design flaw plain and simple. they do not build up that part of the frame properly to take the forces. how many pictures if cracked Yeti do we need to see to come to that conclusion ?

or they need to put a serious rider weight restriction on these, like do not ride if over 100lbs

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another dead Yeti.

this is a design flaw plain and simple. they do not build up that part of the frame properly to take the forces. how many pictures if cracked Yeti do we need to see to come to that conclusion ?
This is a SB130, so a new frame design. I know there have been cracked frame on some of the older models but have there been a lot of 130 frames cracked?

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's a weird way for it to crack, if it is one.

It's pretty easy to tell, if you knock it, they sound very different where the crack is to a non cracked section. Is it 'soft' when you press it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Those other cracks are much more like what I would expect it to look like - round the tube rather than a single, vertical line.

I've certainly never seen carbon crack like that (and i've broken my fair share of carbon bikes!)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a weird way for it to crack, if it is one.

It's pretty easy to tell, if you knock it, they sound very different where the crack is to a non cracked section. Is it 'soft' when you press it?
Ill check if its soft, its very small. If it's not a crack, what could it be?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ill check if its soft, its very small. If it's not a crack, what could it be?
Paint damage? Loose pebbles and rocks can cause paint to crack in weird ways like that. Carbon fiber is stiff, but isn't completely rigid so a pebble strike at the right time and place can cause it the paint to crack like that. But obviously, you'd have to strip the paint or X-ray to know for sure. If Yeti does stand by their products, they'll cover this even if it does turn out to be just paint damage after the fact.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paint damage? Loose pebbles and rocks can cause paint to crack in weird ways like that. Carbon fiber is stiff, but isn't completely rigid so a pebble strike at the right time and place can cause it the paint to crack like that. But obviously, you'd have to strip the paint or X-ray to know for sure. If Yeti does stand by their products, they'll cover this even if it does turn out to be just paint damage after the fact.
I initially thought I may just be paint but it seems like a very weird way for the paint to crack, in a straight line without any marring of the paint around it. (Assuming it was a rock strike)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
Those other cracks are much more like what I would expect it to look like - round the tube rather than a single, vertical line.

I've certainly never seen carbon crack like that (and i've broken my fair share of carbon bikes!)
vertical line crack or horizontal line is what you can expect in a tube, it depends on a lot of factors. but that vertical crack in a tube is not unknown in 'tube world'

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.