Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Best bet is to contact Turner first. Try Greg he's an Ace on this sort of thing, and very responsive.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
word!

i ran into the garage with the bike on roof and luckily nothing happened to the frame but you didnt JRA and that happened !
Scott

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Strange. I know I've seen in the polish ano frames a rougher finish in the perimeter of the welds on the tubes. Wonder if this has any correlation and/or normal frame flex there on the rough ano finish.

Does look weird and I'm certain if you isolated that, you're not finding the same thing at any other highly stressed areas of the frame.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

I´ld be sort of weird, if I was the only one which such a crack in his 5 Spot.
I use a 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC on my 15" frame, I´m not overweight, but ~ 145 lbs. I only ride rather rocky trails, since I live in the Alps (middle europe). No big drops or the like.
I´ld really like to stay with a (5) Spot, since I see no advantages in riding a RFX.

cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!

I´m observing this little risers for three weeks now. No big changes, only one additional riser at the steeringtube, but no real crack.

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
no big changes, just additional signs of potential failure. naaaaa... shouldnt be a problem. so, what did turner say? my guess is "keep ridin it till it breaks" wasnt mentioned.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Hmmm, I'm thinking I wouldn't be riding the bike like that. Give Turner a buzz or drop them an email, they'll take a look at it and help ya get rolling again.

Sorry to see the problem, very odd to see stress cracks in around the gusset.

happy trails...

squish

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I'm thinking you'll be upgrading to a unicycle any day now.
Got FFH?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, Turner didn´t reply to my Emails, but as someone with some metallurgical knowledge, I assume, that this faulty place won´t brake from one second to the other. There are so much weldings and sheeting around this area...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I'm sure they'll get back to you soon, they're probably behind from Interbike.
An international call might not be what you want to do, but it might be worth the peace of mind.

I agree it probably won't just pop right off, but I personally wouldn't want to push it until I heard from Da Source.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Turner's got an ace that can handle that stuff - a guy named Phil, if I recall correctly. I could be wrong, but I think his last name is McCracken. Give him a call.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today, I got an E-Mail from Greg. To make it short: I´ll get a new main frame on warranty, which is great, since my frame is more than 3 years old.

So, all I can say is, that Turners costumer service is unbeatable, even if you have to wait for some weeks to get an E-Mail answered and have to wait some weeks for the new main frame, because they haven´t any in stock. But, great thing again: For my new frame,I can choose any color from the web site for free. :D

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Very cool. They always come through with no BS. When I read some of the warranty and out-of-warranty stories around on the other boards, it makes me cringe. Others say they have great customer service- yeah, right...more like lip service and frustrating at the customer's end when you need some real help.

What color frame are you getting?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flyer said:
What color frame are you getting?
I´ve choosen Gloss White, which should match the matt-finished black rear end of my Spot and my new PIKE perfectly. But maybe, I´ll switch over to an all new 2008 Spot. I just asked Greg in this regard...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts