Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy this used frame, but am having second thoughts now that i've seen this little divot.

It is small, and that looks like the strongest part of the frame.... but what if I want to resell the frame some day?

29'r hardtail. I don't jump, might be do a 2 foot huck/drop or something occassionally.

I can't pick away threads but the rock/collision raised up that edge a tiny bit, making me wonder if it is more than paint.

pics:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MjVjQWQ4Rkg4U0podHNGYlFXdkk4R2daODU5aDhn

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,720 Posts
Looks like a chip in the carbon to me. I doubt it's going to effect the structural integrity. I'm sure there's some kind of filler you could use to fill it, like epoxy. Not sure if that's the correct product for the job. That being said I think you should buy it and don't stress on it for resale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i only mentioned hucking vs jumping to give an idea of the type of stress i'll be doing to this hardtail. And I might run it single-speed. Thanks for your thoughts & opinions.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,725 Posts
I'm sure there's some kind of filler you could use to fill it, like epoxy. Not sure if that's the correct product for the job. That being said I think you should buy it and don't stress on it for resale.
For paint chips over carbon, but the carbon is fine, I just apply a dab of clear nail polish to keep moisture out.

If the carbon is actually chipped, a little dab of clear epoxy would be a better choice. In the event that it's more than a little chip (as in, it goes all the way through), you can still fix it, but it will take sheets of carbon (pre-impregnated ones are easier to use), and a bit more work.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
No need to keep moisture out. The inside of the frame is bare and likely has plenty of water lurking in it. The best thing for it is to get lots of dings and scratches from being ridden hard. Or, put it in a museum and thrash your Walmart bike.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,725 Posts
No need to keep moisture out. The inside of the frame is bare and likely has plenty of water lurking in it. The best thing for it is to get lots of dings and scratches from being ridden hard. Or, put it in a museum and thrash your Walmart bike.
it's a simple preventive. extra insurance against more paint flaking off, or for water to find a way between carbon layers

·
38,720 Posts
Why was the carbon chip so similar to his father?

He was a chip off the old frame.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,322 Posts
If you squint just right, it sorta looks like Chip Douglas.

·
38,720 Posts
I'm thinking that chip looks more like Jesus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts