Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have the possibility of getting my hands on this bike, but I am a bit confused on the different models and the frame solutions around the shock.

The seller is claiming this is a 2006 model. Is it?
What is the pros/cons with this solution?
Anything else I should be aware of on this model?

Regards,

Attachments

·
I ride bikes
229 Posts
This needs some clarification. That frame is at least not a 2006 USA model - the shock mount on the downtube is the 2005 style as well as the rear triangle. The color of the USA Trance 1 is white with silver letters and graphics. The Trance 1 should also be equipped with a Fox RP3 shock regardless of what country it's from.

·
The Netherlands
85 Posts
I found a picture of a Trance 1 from a Russian website. It does explain the silver linkages instead of the usual black ones.

Here's another one. Apparantly that Trance 1 doesn't come with the RP3 stock! :skep:
Note that this one has the 2005-style toptube. Giant can be inconsistent at times. ;)

It seems like it's a Trance 1 for the Asian market.

Fact remains however, that the shock on the frame you consider, isn't stock.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, that's a 2006 (late 2005) Trance frame - you can tell by the different formed downtube, even though it's using the older 2005 shock cage. The shock is definitely not what it came with - should be an RP3. With that coil shock I'd also be a bit worried with what the person was using the bike for to need a coil sprung shock.

·
Registered
524 Posts
LyNx said:
With that coil shock I'd also be a bit worried with what the person was using the bike for to need a coil sprung shock.
I'm no suspension expert (just general knowledge), but in adding to Lynx- I'd also be worried about the eye-to-eye length of that new coil. I know that each bike has it's own leverage ratio to give a certain amount of travel. But that coil is old enough to have been pulled off an older bike so it may not suit the Trance at all. What can happen if it's the wrong size is that the swingarm or links can move into place where they shouldn't (like the frame!).

Also the spring may not work with your weight - I'm unsure as to whether Fox even have a vanilla coil suited for a Trance. Essesntially, you may have to end up forking (or should that be 'shocking'?) out the money for a new RP23 shock.

IMO- dodgy buy.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would inspect the frame very carefully & with the purchase price take into consideration of having to maybe buy a new shock for it, like the others have said you could have problems (compatability or ride) since the shock shown is not original spec.
It does look to be a trance 1 frame - although don't pay more just because of that, the only difference between the frames is the shocks they came with and colours, in all other respects trance 1, 2, 3, 4 frames were all the same. Of course designs between countries and different years did differ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.