Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Formerly of Kent
13,330 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I have a rather unique, ahem, perspective on this.

My sister was a sociology professor, department head, author, and now provost of academic affairs for her university. Her main research interests were gender and politics. Big fan of Hillary.

My fiancee has worked for the ACLU, particularly with battered and abused women. Has her juris doctorate and is now getting her PhD in rhetoric, focusing on issues surrounding feminism. Midwifery, breastfeeding, all sorts of stuff.

I, on the other hand, am an Army infantry officer. Every 10th word out of my mouth, in some settings, is a curse.

So, while I am a product of an all-male workplace, and am a bit rough around the edges, I have to ask:

Why the hell does anyone care? Ride your bike as you see fit. I don't think the way I ride a bike is particularly "masculine"; I just ride it. I've seen plenty of women bomb the A-line at the local trail system with the boys, and had no clue it was a "she" until she took off her helmet. Gender, in this context as with many others, is a bit of a myth.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Well this wasn't really geared towards mountain biking but even in a commuting sense, who cares. Unfortunately there are always people out there that are willing to tell people how they should live their life and women seem to be the ones most subjected to this.

Text Font Magenta Rectangle Maroon

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
why the hell does anyone care? Ride your bike as you see fit. I don't think the way i ride a bike is particularly "masculine"; i just ride it. I've seen plenty of women bomb the a-line at the local trail system with the boys, and had no clue it was a "she" until she took off her helmet. Gender, in this context as with many others, is a bit of a myth.
this.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is there a femine way to ride?
... pretty sure the mechanics of pedaling a bike are essentially the same between men and women

Do I care?
Nope

But I guess if you want to look feminine while riding, i.e. pink/purple colors, flowers, go for it. I personally wish the outdoor industry would get a clue and market to girls who like colors like green and orange instead of baby blue, white and pink. But that's just me.

·
9 lives
18,195 Posts
If the thought of being able to look pretty and feminine is going to get young women through the door is that such a bad thing?! Once they are taking part biking or sports hopefully role models or mentors can encourage them to stay and see sweat isn’t an evil word.

One of my favorite things about getting older has been becoming more confident in myself as a woman. I know who I am and what I've got going on.

I don't think about looking pretty doing a rock drop, gap jump or steep rooty section ... I want to feel badass and strong and give it my all. I like get dirty and sweaty. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honestly I just really don't care. I only made it about half way through this article actually and lost interest. I just ride my bike. Whatever people want to think is up to them. Some days I might feel like wearing a skirt and so I do, other days I might not give a crap and just wear whatever. I don't think much about it. I just wear whatever I feel like and ride whatever I feel like.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
One of my favorite things about getting older has been becoming more confident in myself as a woman. I know who I am and what I've got going on.
Yup, I agree. Add to that the "I just don't care what other people think" stuff. And really, I am out there for ME, not for other people.

I don't think about looking pretty doing a rock drop, gap jump or steep rooty section ... I want to feel badass and strong and give it my all. I like get dirty and sweaty. :)
I, on the other hand, want to stay upright and not lose too much skin in the process :D Looking good, and style, are secondary to survival.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was just happy he could tell I was female. I get called "dude" a lot on a snowboard.
Not many whistles here on the trails but in cities I've gotten that. Somehow the trails are pretty sparse here when I can break away from work. After working in an otherwise all male body shop if someone calls me dude I don't even bat an eye. Better than being called chicky or girlie ;)

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, apparently pro & Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton was not considered feminine enough, as they airbrushed her muscles out...
How not to be a knob to female cyclists | road.cc
PSA to any photogs out there:
If anyone happens upon a random race photo of me, please airbrush bigger quads/arms. Thank you.

Sadly eating disorders and body image issues are way too common among competitive women athletes. On my college soccer team, I can think of 4-5 girls with a full on eating disorder and many other who were walking the line.

Beauty is being yourself.

Rant over, time to ride....No pink socks today!

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
We're just getting in to the high school MTB thing where I live, and it's tearing me apart that the new coach for the area is a man who once referred to me (in a conversation about how we don't have a lot of female cyclists in my city) as "mandrea" and said that I "didn't count as female." I guess because I've got short hair, I'm reasonably fast, and I race aggressively. It doesn't make me change a thing about the way I look or ride, but I'm concerned that it's the sort of attitude that will scare off young ladies from the sport.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.