Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! i've got a set of Nanos and a set of Rampages on my Sultan. love the speed and light weight of the nanos. love the grip of the Rampages in tougher situations, but boy do they feel heavy and slow. i want to get another set of tires - something inbetween these 2 - not so slow and not so heavy in the neighborhood of 650 grams. what are you guys going with today? any suggestions?!! thanks!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Loads, upon loads of tyres fit that bill, best bet is to browse down through this forum and look for posts discussing all the different tyre options. Straight up I'll throw out some names for you, the rest is up to you as far as finding info on them - cause there's pages of it on here. Only run certain brands so don't know exact names of other brands tyres, but do know they have something in what you're looking for - visit their sites and take a look.

MAXXIS Crossmark, Ignitor or Ardent
SCHWALBE Racing Ralph
BONTRAGER Jones ......
MICHELIN XC .....
SPECIALIZED Captains

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - yes i've looked at lots of threads and in this category there wasn't one that really stood out head and shoulders above the rest as the rampages do in the 750 gram more aggresive category or as the nano does in the sub-600 fast rolling category. i was thinking of going crossmarks - do they go tubeless on flows? thanx again!

LyNx said:
Loads, upon loads of tyres fit that bill, best bet is to browse down through this forum and look for posts discussing all the different tyre options. Straight up I'll throw out some names for you, the rest is up to you as far as finding info on them - cause there's pages of it on here. Only run certain brands so don't know exact names of other brands tyres, but do know they have something in what you're looking for - visit their sites and take a look.

MAXXIS Crossmark, Ignitor or Ardent
SCHWALBE Racing Ralph
BONTRAGER Jones ......
MICHELIN XC .....
SPECIALIZED Captains

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
in my experience, crossmarks have nowhere near the grip of rampages on anything but hardpack. the bontrager xr and acx probably both fit the bill, as would maxxis' ardent and ignitor. the racing ralph would definitely do what you're looking for.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you ride on the 2.25 or 2.4 racing ralph? any preference? do they stand up over time or get worn down on a bit of asphalt? my Nanos are amazing in that respect - you just can't kill 'em. wow! - i just had a look at RR price, you can get about 2 tires for one RR.

thanks again guys!

sean salach said:
in my experience, crossmarks have nowhere near the grip of rampages on anything but hardpack. the bontrager xr and acx probably both fit the bill, as would maxxis' ardent and ignitor. the racing ralph would definitely do what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
been happy with my first-gen Ignitors (lighter than the current ones) and my Bonty ACX's...very predictable and adequate for most of the conditions I ride in. I slap on the ACX's come rainy season. The Ignitors are my dry season tires.

When these wear out I'll probably spring for a pair of Specialized The Captains...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
OP, if you like/love the Nano's, but want just a little bit more, you are in luck.

WTB Nano = 2.1
WTB Exi = 2.3
WTB WeirW = 2.55

They all are a very similar tire to each other, similar tread, profile, etc...just more and more air volume.

I'm stickin' to the code myself within the WTB line. I've ridden near-exclusively Nano's since 2003, but recently changed to WW's on my SS/HT, and my Gearie FS will feature Exi's.

My spare set of new in box Nano's is just sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
To answer that question YES, the work very good tubeless, but do have a very thin sidewall so watch out for sharp rocks. As far as in between the Nano and Rampage I'd say Ignitor and YEs it is also a easy to run tubeless tyre. My wheels=Pro2s laced to Flows. Although I'd like to try something like the Bonti XDX, they just aren't available that I've seen online and cost a good bit more than any of the Maxxis tyres I use.

starre said:
thanks - yes i've looked at lots of threads and in this category there wasn't one that really stood out head and shoulders above the rest as the rampages do in the 750 gram more aggresive category or as the nano does in the sub-600 fast rolling category. i was thinking of going crossmarks - do they go tubeless on flows? thanx again!

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
Schmucker said:
Nano rear, Rampage front. Now you don't have to buy new tires.
ditto. running this combo with stan's tubeless on my slingshot and retrotrec. My only complaint is that if the nano gets low on PSI it gets a bit squirmy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Another vote for Geax Saguaro

I run a Rampage up front and a Geax Saguaro in the back---the combination works quite well for most trails in the SF Bay Area. However, when I ride in Tahoe, I appreciate what the Rampage has to offer in the back. I run both tires tubeless on Flows with no problems.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Been running Racing Ralphs on all the bikes for the while now. Roll fast, good traction, lateral holding power, and light. :thumbsup:
The Ralphs are the best overall tire for me when riding single track. I run the 2.4 on front and the 2.25 on rear, tubeless around 35 PSI.
They do wear quickly on pavement.
I have a spare set of rims with nanoraptors set up for riding asphalt/concrete. Tried them on the trails, but we develop alot of powder in our turns around here.
Nano's, or maybe its me, don't seem to handle powder or sand at all. They sink. The Ralphs float over everything.:)

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Running a Resolution 2.3 in front and a Captain 2.2 in the back, both on WTB Speedisc rims and tubeless. Not sure I like the Captain as a front tire, nor the Resolution as a rear tire. Anything "faster" on back and grippier up front tends to feel faster. Rampage on the rear (or similiar) will feel slower. Like finger51 says - he's happy with a combo of tires you own - try the Rampage on Front and see how the bike rides! If not enough grip in the rear, try a Captain or Crossmark - both seem to work well on back and still roll pretty fast too.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
your are right - when my nano's go south of 32 psi i definitely feel the squirm. if i am over 36 psi i lose grip. the rampages have grip like you're cheating or something and you can bust through rocky stuff but it still feels like throwing out anchors compared to nanos. i'll give the combo (nanos and rampage) a shot. thanx!

finger51 said:
ditto. running this combo with stan's tubeless on my slingshot and retrotrec. My only complaint is that if the nano gets low on PSI it gets a bit squirmy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
boomn said:
I'm curious how the Prowler fits into this hierarchy. I haven't seen much on it yet. Grip looks good, but I'm not sure about volume or speed on hardpack
I've ridden the prowler as a front tire on my KM for a while. Grip is better than a nano and volume is a bit larger than an ignitor. It's much faster than a nevegal which seems similar to the rampage. I don't know how it works tubeless but run it around 32psi with tubes with no fear of pinch flatting. Its claimed weight is 726g but I can't cofirm. Seems similar in weight to the nano as far as rolling goes. Prowler up front and nano out back has been a good combo in almost all situations.

I'm with ncj as far as the WTB line goes. I go between nanos, prowlers, weirwolfs on all my bikes.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Pmac83 said:
I've ridden the prowler as a front tire on my KM for a while. Grip is better than a nano and volume is a bit larger than an ignitor. It's much faster than a nevegal which seems similar to the rampage. I don't know how it works tubeless but run it around 32psi with tubes with no fear of pinch flatting. Its claimed weight is 726g but I can't cofirm. Seems similar in weight to the nano as far as rolling goes. Prowler up front and nano out back has been a good combo in almost all situations.

I'm with ncj as far as the WTB line goes. I go between nanos, prowlers, weirwolfs on all my bikes.
Thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.