Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know that individuals build them because I'm about to build one myself. They are hard to find in the stores because crappy suspension forks are just as cheap or cheaper than decent rigid forks and most manufacturers figure that given a choice people will choose suspension over rigid (and for the most part they are probably right).

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
mrbubbles said:
It seems nobody sells these anymore. What's the dealio? Do people even build these up anymore?
Pardon? My custom Seven Cycles with rigid carbon fork is of course all rigid. Almost no-one sells rigid bikes as most bike buyers think they need a suspension fork or full suspension.

Lots of people are going back to basics with rigid forks and single speeds and there's a breath of fresh air in all this (not in SS for me though) as the technology is just a mad rush to consumerism through marketing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

Since i used my stock Cannondale F500 with the headshock (which failed 3 times), i had my doubts about spring forks. I rode that bike with the broken spring and experienced it was harder to ride the trails, but just, or even more fun to do. You fall off a little more, but no serious injuries, so that's okay. You have to be a better technical rider, because errors in steering will be punished with a fall, so you learn the hard way.

Now i'm building up a new mountainbike and i've choosen it should be a rigid bike as well. I bought the frame from REWEL (a custom Italian titanium frame) and the fork from XACD (also titanium), which is superb. It's lighter than a spring fork, just as strong or stronger, and no moving parts, so less can break. And as an extra bonus: it's a lot cheaper than the really high end springs. The best part of mountainbike is the climbing for me, so a light, strong bike is perfect.

I also think companies must sell to make a profit, and with those springs you can change much more details, and is therefore better for marketing. Change the coil spring, the sizes of air chambers, add remote lock out and so on.
A rigid fork will still be rigid and it looks maybe even boring. And when a company has a good product (like XACD), the hardly need it to change, because there is little to change about.And if you search hard, you'll still find some companies which offer rigid bikes, but those companies are small and mostly custom, or high end.
Check :thumbsup: www.steinbach-bike.com, you'll find a nice unheard of light rigid mountainbike.

Almost forgot: it's a German site, so check "Komplettrader" and than you see the "uphill bike"

Rigid or spring? i think you should buy what makes you happy. after all it's mostly a personal choice, and riding style.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I'm currently looking to build a 26" rigid SS as my urban commuter. It will be built as a tough mtb due to the poor roads here, with few items to fail, including the fork. I'm out on where and what frame to get, though I was getting good recommendations from other threads, including On One frames or Surly frames and forks. It seems the frames are plentiful, but getting a low-cost, nice quality fork is a bit tougher.

I can even get a brand new butted HT Al frame from my local performance type store for 70€ on blowout.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Nothing wrong with a rigid 26er; I have one and love it. The marketing people just decided you don't want one, so they aren't providing you with one. The best solution is to buy a decent hardtail with a crappy suspension fork, then swap it for the rigid for of your choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
f3rg said:
Nothing wrong with a rigid 26er; I have one and love it. The marketing people just decided you don't want one, so they aren't providing you with one. The best solution is to buy a decent hardtail with a crappy suspension fork, then swap it for the rigid for of your choice.
Why buy something you don't need:confused:
The better solution is to select the components you want and put them together. That way, you can assemble it just the way you want. The parts (seperately bought) and the assembly shouldn't cost that much more than a stock bike which than you have to change.
Just check sales at your lbs or the internet for the best buy.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Givet said:
Why buy something you don't need:confused:
The better solution is to select the components you want and put them together. That way, you can assemble it just the way you want. The parts (seperately bought) and the assembly shouldn't cost that much more than a stock bike which than you have to change.
Just check sales at your lbs or the internet for the best buy.
I agree, which is why I built mine. I was just suggesting that as an alternative.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Implied in the post is that there are plenty of rigid 29ers. Which is true. But whether or not you are a 29er true believer, I think that rigid bikes are where 29er wheels really shine. Some people will still prefer the smaller wheels (especially if they are really short), but since 29er rigid bikes perform better, it makes sense that most rigid bikes are 29ers. It also makes sense that most mountain bikes aren't rigid, since suspension makes a bike more comfortable, compensates for lack of skill, and is actually useful under some conditions (like lift-served downhill mountain biking). It's all about supply and demand. Apparently most people want full suspension mountain bikes, a few want hardtails, and a very small number of people want rigid bikes. And out of that tiny number of people who ride rigid bikes, I would guess that a majority prefer 29er wheels and only one gear. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with rigid 26ers (with or without gears), it just means they aren't as popular.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
mrbubbles said:
Is there anything wrong with rigid 26"?
YES! If everyone had one, mfr's would lose half their revenue!

Other than that, they're fine. I rode one for years on the technical trails at the local state park (before they sanitized the trails). It seems now everyone has to have FS just to ride rails-to-trails. That's some very successful marketing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.