Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not that I NEED new wheels, it's just that I keep seeing drooling reviews and and pictures of new rims and wheelsets then I drool a little too...

The Stan's Crest stock wheelset at 1585 grams is treating me just fine but let's say you were going to build/buy new wheels; what would you get?

Details:
Budget: <$2k
Use: Everyday and an occasional race
Rider weight: <150lbs
Bike: Rigid carbon 29er SS
Riding style: Northern CA XC

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are happy with the crest performance then stick with them. Light-Bicycle carbon rims are great, same weight as crests but much much stiffer, in my experience too stiff for a hardtail let alone a rigid.
Perhaps you'd satisfy your upgrade fever with a new set of hubs? I'm a big fan of DT240s.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went from a 1530g wheelset with Stans Crest rims to a wheelset with LB 30mm carbon rims(1700g). I would totally recommend the LB option! They're stiffer, they feel more direct thru the twisty stuff AND i feel less flex when climbing. They're no harder on my back than the alloy rims too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
here's my experience for whats its worth. I ride a rigid niner air 9C SS. I was running stans crest wheels with nobby nic and racing ralphs at 19psi each and it was nice and plush for the rocky trails here in Colorado. I got a sweet deal on a pair on new Stan Valors so I bought them, installed the same tires, ran the same psi.. and holy crap are they bricks. Crazy light (1313grams complete) but they feel so much stiffer that I feel I need to lower the pressure a few more psi which might not work around here.
Stick to the Crests.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Only at your weight I would recommend Crests.

Im 160, and I had a set of crests for race day only.... Even then the rear only lasted a couple months.

Its going to be tough to find a lighter wheelset, but if you make the upgrade to carbon, you will get a much stiffer wheel. Making the swap to carbon wheels on a MTB has changed my life. You will love the stiffness of them in the corners.

I would not recommend light bicycle rims. I have had a set. One is holding up great, the others nipples are pulling through and cracking the rim. They will not warranty it. Its a gamble with LB.

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
I use the American Classic 101 rims. Stated weight is 381g but mine were 375g and 376g. I lace those to Circus monkey hubs 355g a set with Titanium spokes and alloy nipples and they weigh 1410g with Stans yellow tape and AC valves. The AC 101's are as stiff as (or stiffer) than Arch's but as light as Crests. I have that setup on both of my bikes.

Rear wheel.

Front wheel.

Both bikes that those wheels are on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts