Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v had a super v 900 and f-800 cannondale both with lock-out on the fly. Had to sell both bikes and now getting back into mountain biking 4 years later LOST. I'v rode the lefty but now want to know is there a reliable good shock out there not for cannondales. Something close to $250-350 give or take.

thanks brad

·
Registered
142 Posts
nothing around 250-350... check out some of the three top brands, marzocchi, manitou, and rockshocks... not sure on this one... im not as up to speed on XC stuff, try the xc or shock forum.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
flyridecr125 said:
I'v had a super v 900 and f-800 cannondale both with lock-out on the fly. Had to sell both bikes and now getting back into mountain biking 4 years later LOST. I'v rode the lefty but now want to know is there a reliable good shock out there not for cannondales. Something close to $250-350 give or take.

thanks brad
my manitou black super

buy me

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
flyridecr125 said:

thanks brad
As far as structural performance the only fork I've ridden that comes close the steering precision of a lefty is the maverick fork but it's about a grand. It's also a 6" travel fork so may be overkill for you.

The best lightweight xc/trail forks I've ridden would be the fox air forks. I've owned a coil psylo, manitou black elite, a few marzocchis and have been on a fox talas since last summer. I believe you can get a fox float R fork for close to your price range.
How the fox compares in my mind:

manitou: fox has much much better damping and is more responsive to chattery bumps

psylo: Fox has better damping and is stiffer fore and aft, probably comparable in lateral stiffness though (my psylo was quick release, not tullio)

Marzocchis: great damping but tend to be heavy-my only complaint.

If your lefty was more than 2 years old, any of these forks will feel better in the damping/smoothness category but none will feel as great as far as rigidity.

Try to forget about the lockout. It's completely unnecessary for mountain bikes and will only hinder your choices.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can get a Marzocchi MX COMP W/ ETA for under $270

It's available in 120mm and has an on the fly travel adjustment, which requires no more than turning a knob 90 degrees. I'm able to lock down to 1/3 of my travel for climbing, tight single track, moving around pedestrians, etc. It's great! And still provides 30mm of travel when locked down.

I think anyone who's agaisn't a lockout fork doesn't know how versatile it makes the fork become. I agree though, lockout is pretty useless if it doesn't compress the fork at the same time (like Mazocchi). I use my ETA more as a bike geometry adjustment than a lockout. It's awesome for steepening the head angle for quicker turning.

check out the reviews on the 2004 model. You can't go wrong with a Marzocchi. Look at the 2003 fork list and notice how MArz ownes most of the choice awards.

04 MX comp reviews

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.