Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems specialized prices these high and controls pricing/quantities pretty carefully. i'm looking for an s works fsr stumpy, preferably a leftover 05, but am not having much luck other than one ebay auction that seemed to be a scam.

any ideas on how to find one decently discounted for last year's bike? i am trying the local bike shops (bay area) but am not finding anything. i spoke to one of my daughter's friends who works at a specialized dealer and he says they have a hard time selling the s works bikes because of pricing, but he has no idea how to find them on sale....

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
cohenfive said:
it seems specialized prices these high and controls pricing/quantities pretty carefully. i'm looking for an s works fsr stumpy, preferably a leftover 05, but am not having much luck other than one ebay auction that seemed to be a scam.

any ideas on how to find one decently discounted for last year's bike? i am trying the local bike shops (bay area) but am not finding anything. i spoke to one of my daughter's friends who works at a specialized dealer and he says they have a hard time selling the s works bikes because of pricing, but he has no idea how to find them on sale....
Got a cell phone with free Long Distance? Hit the Specialized site and the dealer locater. Then start calling.

If you have any chain stores nearby they may be able to check the other stores inventories.

If your daughter's friend is at one of the dealers - if Specialized has any left in stock would that shop be will be work on pricing? It can't hurt to ask. (Got a Jamis a few years back almost the same way a few years back. :) ).

Good luck,

JmZ

·
Registered
491 Posts
cohenfive said:

Hey Cohen,
I bought an 05 S-works stumpy in September for $1600 WITH the talas shock! Yes, it listed i think for $2400 or $2600. I couldn't pass that up. This was at the Fattire Farm in Portland, Oregon. I'm almost sure he has some left, but not sure if he'll ship it out for you....If you call, ask for Tim. He is the sales mgr there-super helpful guy. I think their website is www.fattirefarm.com.
Jdub

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biker75 said:
Hey Cohen,
I bought an 05 S-works stumpy in September for $1600 WITH the talas shock! Yes, it listed i think for $2400 or $2600. I couldn't pass that up. This was at the Fattire Farm in Portland, Oregon. I'm almost sure he has some left, but not sure if he'll ship it out for you....If you call, ask for Tim. He is the sales mgr there-super helpful guy. I think their website is www.fattirefarm.com.
Jdub
do you mean the talas fork? which rear shock did it come with--the septune? i've been offered one for a similar price, i've asked them how much it would be to build it up with an xtr/crossmax build. we'll see what they come back with.

oh, and i will be contacting a bunch of dealers to see if there's any inventory left that the shop wants to dump...ok, so i'm cheap, but i think specialized prices these things unrealistically. the 06 has a slightly worse component kit and the new brain shock but msrp has increased by another $500 on top of what already was too high a price imo.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Biker75 said:
I'm almost sure he has some left, but not sure if he'll ship it out for you....If you call, ask for Tim. He is the sales mgr there-super helpful guy. I think their website is www.fattirefarm.com.
Jdub
That is considered internet sales and is prohibited by Specialized. Doing so could risk losing his Specialized dealership. They are very strict on thier "No Internet Sales" policy.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
491 Posts
cohenfive said:
do you mean the talas fork? which rear shock did it come with--the septune? i've been offered one for a similar price, i've asked them how much it would be to build it up with an xtr/crossmax build. we'll see what they come back with.

oh, and i will be contacting a bunch of dealers to see if there's any inventory left that the shop wants to dump...ok, so i'm cheap, but i think specialized prices these things unrealistically. the 06 has a slightly worse component kit and the new brain shock but msrp has increased by another $500 on top of what already was too high a price imo.
OOPS! Yep, meant Talas fork. Came w/ the Septune shock. If you are cheap, I'd forget about the xtr/crossmax build & do pricepoint & jensonusa. You should be able to do a very nice build for about $2700 or so-I did mine w/ XT cranks, X9 sram RD & shifters, Mavic 717 rims/xt hubs, avid juicy 5 brakes... Came in probably 25 pounds, but never weighed it. It was significantly lighter than my 2004 Stumpjumper FSR expert model w/ less travel tho.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
mtnbikej said:
That is considered internet sales and is prohibited by Specialized. Doing so could risk losing his Specialized dealership. They are very strict on thier "No Internet Sales" policy.
He will probably be able to pull it off, so long as it's an '05. Most companies internet policy is for current stuff only. By now, pretty much anything '05 left in house at Specialized is likely to be tagged as closeouts. This is just a guess, though. I'm not familiar with Specialized's particular policy.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
ignazjr said:
He will probably be able to pull it off, so long as it's an '05. Most companies internet policy is for current stuff only. By now, pretty much anything '05 left in house at Specialized is likely to be tagged as closeouts. This is just a guess, though. I'm not familiar with Specialized's particular policy.
All I can pass along is second hand info. One of the local riders around here had a friend in Chicago and he blew out some inventory on E-Bay. The models he put up on there were not current year, not last year, but 2 years old.

Specialized chewed him a new one. I don't know if it was Specialized, or his choice, but he isn't a Specialized dealer anymore.

JmZ

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm not trying to get anybody in trouble, just hoping to be able to get an 05 s works stumpy or equivalent built for about $3500, which to me is about what the bike is worth with an xtr/xo/xmax build....if i can't right now, so be it and i'll look around for a mint used one....i'd be happy with that as well.

thx for the advice gang, i'm in touch with a few dealers now but haven't found what i need yet. only local dealers so far.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
JmZ said:
All I can pass along is second hand info. One of the local riders around here had a friend in Chicago and he blew out some inventory on E-Bay. The models he put up on there were not current year, not last year, but 2 years old.

Specialized chewed him a new one. I don't know if it was Specialized, or his choice, but he isn't a Specialized dealer anymore.

JmZ
I had the same thing happen, except the shop was already not selling Specialized, this was a left over from when they were a dealer. Spdcialized threatened me if I didn't pull the ad.

mtnbikej

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
ignazjr said:
Supergo was a good example. They would be the clearing house for last year's Specialized bikes, however.....they were not able to sell them on the website or over the phone. They were only available in the stores.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
576 Posts
That sounds like an expert, not a S-works

I happen to have the expert and the list price was $2600 and it came with a telas fork, I assume you have the same bike. The S-works bike built up price is much higher.

Biker75 said:
Hey Cohen,
Jdub

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i may have found one...guy with too many bikes has an 05 sworks fsr stumpy in my size. sounds new, trying to figure out what i should pay and whether it will work for him. then i'd have to sell my sc superlight.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.