Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Zoke has a page listing conversion kits for various forks on their website for changing travel. I don't have the link handy but it has been mentioned here in various Zoke threads. You may want to dig around on the website, but better yet would be to call them and find out what is actually available aftermarket (what they list on the website and what is actually on the market may differ wildly). There were damper rods and such to bump 130mm 04 forks up to 150mm I think. No matter what it would require a longer damper rod and longer springs to go with it. Basically all new guts. This tends to be so silly-expensive that it is sort of pointless and buying a new fork makes more sense. At least that was the determination when it came to the TST and TAS bits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
Zoke has a page listing conversion kits for various forks on their website for changing travel. I don't have the link handy but it has been mentioned here in various Zoke threads. You may want to dig around on the website, but better yet would be to call them and find out what is actually available aftermarket (what they list on the website and what is actually on the market may differ wildly). There were damper rods and such to bump 130mm 04 forks up to 150mm I think. No matter what it would require a longer damper rod and longer springs to go with it. Basically all new guts. This tends to be so silly-expensive that it is sort of pointless and buying a new fork makes more sense. At least that was the determination when it came to the TST and TAS bits.
You're probably right. I didn't think abou the fact that the rods would have to replaced as well as the springs. That's just too much for a crappy DO2 to begin with. Maybe sell the DO2 and buy an 04 or 05 Fr150. Too bad the 05 ones are so damn expensive! I would prefer the lighter weight and better lowers of the 05.

BTW, I haven't given up on my Pike, yet! ;) I'm just looking for a larger option for my dual suspension build. Pike can take some heat, but not quite as much as I'm planing to dish out with my new rig. I would never take the Pike off a 15 footer, I would deff. smash the bottom out on something like that!

Hey, you used to ride a z150 right? What do you think of it in comparison to how the Pike feels?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have a FR1 on my 6-Pack and the Pike Air on the 5-Spot. The spring progression on both is quite similar, the Zoke feels a bit more damped overall, especially in compression, sort of like a big motorcycle fork- you get the sensation of mass. The Pike Air is a bit quicker in action (every damper run full-fast), and it yummies down on the chattery stuff with a bit more alacrity, but the deep compressions are still very well handled. It feels just like the Team Coil in compression damping (the MC is the same on each fork obviously), but the spring rate is noticeably less linear (which I like because the Air absolutely refuses to bottom :) ). I never found a MC setting that floated my boat, so I just run it full fast except for climbs when I may add a touch of C and FG. If anything, the Pike Air more closely resembles my 04 Z1 coil (which has slightly softer springs than the 05).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.